Kwik-way "lathe", what is this really?

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Saw this on Craigslist, being advertised as a gunsmithing lathe. Maybe the owner used it for some gunsmithing projects but I'm guessing the seller has no idea what it really is. Clearly there is a grinder function, either an accessory or the main function.

Looks like the Kwik-Way Company mostly sold automotive tools, brake lathes, cylinder bores and valve grinders, but they did sell some "many-purpose tools".

I'm really just curious, it is a neat looking old machine but I don't see myself having any use for it.

Kwik way lathe.jpg

Strange beast that it is, being backwards form any grinder that I have ever seen, that is, the driving end is on the right rather than the left, as was done for most all other similar machines. Having said that, automotive machines are made in much different than general use machine tools.

Valve grinding machine.
Missing some important parts, though.

Looks like it could grind the valve stem as well as the seat, if the missing parts were there.

Looks like it could grind the valve stem as well as the seat, if the missing parts were there.
Not going to grind a seat, that is a different tool.
This grinds the stem and face.

I misspoke, should have said (seating surface) or face, as you suggest.

Thanks, I figured it was automotive in nature, but there isn't very much on the company at Vintage machinery.

Back