L-1 Chuck

wired

Registered
Registered
Ive got an old L1 chuck'ed Hendey lathe. The 4 jaw is worn out. Like really worn out. I want to replace it . I have a 3 jaw Bison that works great but I need an adjustable 4 jaw for barrel threading work which I dont do often but do do occasionaly. I was looking at a Bison 4 jaw since they seem to be the only company that has them ready to go $1400 which stings . Unfortunately they are not available off the shelf. No one else besides Pratt makes an off the shelf unit and those are about double the cost. I dont know enough about chucks to know whats compatible if I want to buy a generic 4 jaw independent and match it up to a L-1 mounting adapter.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• PXL_20220318_013853151 (1).jpg
    PXL_20220318_013853151 (1).jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 6

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
You will likely have to get the chuck and backing plate separately. The hard part will probably be finding an L-1 backing plate. You might find it easier (more economical) to modify a face/drive plate to fit the chuck you get. They're not giving those away, either.

Here's a blank adapter plate that turned up.

I've been very happy with my Sanou (Chinese) 4-jaw, but it did require lapping the jaws to make them move more freely.

Last edited:

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
As always ........................when it rains soup , I'm holding a friggin fork . :grin: I got some L0 stuff down here .

wired

Registered
Registered
Well I bit the bullet and ordered up a kalamazoo chuck. Ouch. That hurt.

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Platinum Supporter
As you've discovered, L1 chucks are basically non-existent, and getting backing plates is a bit of a PITA. New stuff is non-existent, and used stuff is sometimes suspicious. I've found reasonably good luck getting backing plates on ebay, but they end up being ~$200(as of a few years ago!).

One nice thing is that as long as you get a plain backing plate with enough 'meat' on it to cut anything resembling a register, you don't have to be that accurate of a machinist for a 4 jaw independent chuck. So

There IS a guy in the Portland Oregon area that seems to have collected a bunch of old lathe parts (https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/d/portland-lathe-chuck-mounting-plates/7473734796.html) and sometimes advertises L1 chucks, so you might have good luck prodding him!

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Platinum Supporter
Now that I post that, I see that ebay has actually reasonable prices on backing plates! For an 8", $120 is a steal: https://www.ebay.com/itm/313198189164

And $150 for a 10" is darn cheap too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/313528194277

Looking into my purchase history, it appears I bought at least one from that guy, which I believe I was happy with (I only had 1 bad one, and I think it was a 'gator' brand).

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock