L.s. Starrett No. 64 Test Indicator

Marcduper

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,

Anyone know how to use a Starrett No. 64 test indicator? I got a hold of one the other day and it seems complete and kind of cool.

Thanks, Marc

Had to google that one, you don't use it as it is an antique and a collectible as well as is common with many old Starrett tools.

Do yourself a favor and buy a more modern tool and keep that one as a curiosity and antique, I recommend the Mitutoyo line of indicators that may be purchased for $100.00 dollars or so, I have used one that I bought in 1995 weekly since new, it has not failed me yet and I work in machine shops for a living.

Last edited:
+1, What Wreck said. It's a museum piece, or should be. In today's world it's like a steam driven overhead line shaft system. It was good once, has been superseded.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Starrett stuff. But that 64 and even the Last Word are not on my list of test indicators to get for every day use…I like the Interapid.

Starrett Universal Test Indicator No. 64 I love it. if it works us it and have fun
Bob

I don't know if anyone is still on this thread after two years but I have a couple of Starrett 64's and I have played around with them until I gathered this my own version of how it can be reversed. I had it in word pad in case anyone might be interested so here it is. If someone has anything to add please do. I have not found any original instructions.
STARRETT TEST INDICATOR SET 64A USER INSTRUCTIONS (by Wayne L. Hester)
This unit will not work when the spring is in the relaxed state (preferred for long storage).
Locate the wheel under the indicator pointer arm which controls a delicate wire spring. This wheel has a locking screw at its axis which locks and unlocks the wheel. It is stored unlocked so the spring is in the relaxed (neutral) position to improve the longevity of the spring wire during long storage.
To ready the indicator for use make sure the spring adjust wheel screw is loosened enough so the wheel is unlocked.
With indicator arm to one side turn the spring adj. wheel with the thumb to the same direction to apply spring tension against the arm for that direction. With ample tension hold the wheel and tighten the screw to lock the wheel and spring in that direction.
With the spring locked move the indicator arm manually and release it and it should return to the set direction. If not more spring tension is needed so repeat the process with more spring tension.
This allows the indicator to indicate in the direction of the spring setting. For the other direction repeat the process tensioning the spring in the other direction by thumbing the wheel in the other direction. For long storage release the tension by loosening the wheel screw slightly to release the spring to relaxed state.
This instrument is very adequate for indicating center or detecting errors on work chucked in a lathe. While it has been replaced by modern clock style gauges, it did an amazing job for machinists of old and still does if properly used.
Wayne

STARRETT 64 A 3.jpg

Last edited:
Back