L-W Chuck Co. DIVIDING HEAD DISMANTLE AND CLEAN-UP

Hello all,

Here's a little update on the clean-up...

After removing the auxilliary gear assembly from the de-greaser, I cleaned, buffed and painted the parts...

IMGP0355800x600_zpsfa8d7a6e.jpg

Next came the index crank and it's components...

IMGP0356800x600_zps978ab1e8.jpg

The cross arm is in deplorable shape and seems to have been opened up at the end to allow an easier mounting without removing the keeper bolt and washer, but has resulted in a warped part. I will make a new part for it....

The indexing pin was worn at the tip and not seating very well, so I turned a new tapered point on my Colchester Master lathe that won't bottom out on the shoulder. Every thing counts when it comes to areas of backlash...

IMGP0357800x600_zps2456f444.jpg

IMGP0041800x600.jpg

That's all for now. The next task will be breaking down the 3-jaw chuck. There is lots of chips and other detritus that needs to be cleaned out. I have some good quality chuck grease to lubricate it with.

I am happy to post my successes, but also happy to post my foibles... Upon putting the dividing head together, I assumed (because of the ball oilers) that all of the ball bearing assemblies would be supplied with oil from such means.... not so.... there are two sets of ball bearing rings and races on the worm gear shaft that are completely inaccessable once the dividing head is assembled. I soaked them with way oil upon assembly, but now realize that I will have to take the dividing head apart, once again... (I'm getting good at that) and place a tenacious grease on them before putting it back together. I am not the least bit embarrased by that, merely hoping that someone in the same boat can learn from my mistakes.

There are a series of thunderstorms grumbling towards me, so I will sign off for now to go watch them... :)

Cheers...

Brian

Hello, again David,

I had a look on "The Nipple Shop's" website... teehee... but among the list of countries to ship to... Canada isn't among them. I could be mistaken... but didn't see it there... I will look into this further. I will also contact McMaster-Carr to see if they have changed their policies.

Brian

Hi Brian,

You will need to Email them direct as that is the way they handle orders outside the UK.
Regards
David

Hello again David,

I received an email back already, confirming that they do ship to Canada. I missed it on the list as it is the 3'rd one down and not in the alphabetized section.

Brian

Hello Rafe,

Your welcome and sorry for not replying before now. I have been busy with work and haven't had much time to play in the shop.

The chuck has been taken apart and is cooking in the de-greaser and will be cleaned up soon.

I am missing the brass (or steel ) quadrant and spring washer for this dividing head. Any ideas of replacements ? I could always use a new quadrant from a new dividing head and perhaps bore it to the diameter if need be ?

Brian

Hello Dan,

Yeah, I couldn't tell that there were any divisions or even if it tilted when I first bought it...

Brian

Hello all,

Well, I finally got around to finishing up the dividing head clean-up. I did take the head apart again and greased the bearings where the oil won't reach them.

Here's a few pics of the last of the clean-up...

Chuck parts ready to go back together...

IMGP0362800x600_zpsb7b0111a.jpg

Chuck back together and jaws cleaned up...

IMGP0363800x600_zps8bb754c4.jpg

IMGP0364800x600_zpsf3a09626.jpg

Here's the dividing head finished.... except for the missing quadrant...

IMGP0365800x600_zps060a3c11.jpg

Here's the DH on my mill.... I'll have to figure out an easy way to store it close to the table. It's a real grunt to carry...:yikes:

IMGP0367800x600_zps32c946c9.jpg

IMGP0368800x600_zpsfca75769.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Brian

Hello again,

I just got done looking up the tag on the chuck for the dividing head. It had a small recessed metal decal that looked like... "T de G" .... It looks like it was manufactured in Spain. Anyone else have a chuck like this ?

Brian

Brian

I have no idea on the chuck, sorry. That's some beautiful work however. I was wondering what process you used to clean/polish the steel on that. I actually found a dividing head in the scrap pile where I work, so snagged it. It's too big for me for now, I can barely move it. Has a 8" three jaw chuck. I am going to restore it and store it for future use though.

image.jpg image.jpg

Back