L1 collet chuck-

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'd like to get a collet chuck for my L1 spindle lathe. I'd prefer a 5C, but anything that has reasonably acquirable collets is great!

Additionally, I'm open to buying any good L1 stuff! Let me know if theres other stuff you have just collecting dust :)

A 5C collet with a draw bar works better than a chuck.If you go with a chuck stay way from CM E . The one I purchased from them was so far out of wouldn't even mount up to the lathe spindle.

A 5C collet with a draw bar works better than a chuck.If you go with a chuck stay way from CM E . The one I purchased from them was so far out of wouldn't even mount up to the lathe spindle.
A Drawbar actually ends up being pretty tough, the lathe head is large enough that I couldn't spin the Drawbar and hold the collet in place at the same time. The handwheel style is awesome, but just the chuck ones are alright too.

A Jacobs Rubberflex collet chuck would be fairly easy to find in L1.
I have sets in both A1 and 1-1/2-8 and love them for general work.

A Jacobs Rubberflex collet chuck would be fairly easy to find in L1.
I have sets in both A1 and 1-1/2-8 and love them for general work.
I saw a couple of those, but it seems that the collets are really expensive! Is there a source of them that aren't a lot?

Alright, I sucked it up and just spent the $500 for the jacobs rubberflex chuck with a full set of collets. The 910-920 collets are REALLY expensive separately, so I'll have to keep an eye out for cheap backups.

Back