Label Maker...recommendations?

I have a P-Touch as well. The labels even hold up outside during the summer.

I'm actually surprised the Dymo is even still around, I haven't seen one of those in years.
They may not be. The Dymos I have have been around the block a few times themselves.

I'm new and don't wish to offend happy P-touch fans, but I found this thread searching for a better alternative.

My P-touch labels have faded after only a year or two. They are very sensitive to sun/heat exposure. And they're a pain to remove in one piece or without leaving all their adhesive behind. Is there anything closer to durable vinyl decals?

The 45yo Dymo labels on my first tool chest are still going strong. But I'm happy technology has moved beyond the Dymo "no mistakes or start over" system. Dymo durability with P-touch flexibility would be the holy grail.

Any suggestions?

of course different people have different experiences. I have been using P-Touch labels for at least 10 years and probably longer. I can't think of a single one that has faded. I also have personally never had a problem removing them. In fact sometimes I am surprised at how well they stay on and yet can be removed fairly easily. It should be noted that there are non-Brother suppliers of the label material, perhaps they behave differently. However not much will outlast the Dymo for longevity I think.

Our Sam's club stainless tool chest has places for slide in labels.

The dymo works perfect, just slide in

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Our Sam's club stainless tool chest has places for slide in labels.
I've seen those tool chests @ Sam's. How do you like them?
I've got a US General from Horror Frt. a smaller one of unknown pedigree and a Craftsman all seem fine with different drawer layouts.

of course different people have different experiences. I have been using P-Touch labels for at least 10 years and probably longer. I can't think of a single one that has faded. I also have personally never had a problem removing them. In fact sometimes I am surprised at how well they stay on and yet can be removed fairly easily. It should be noted that there are non-Brother suppliers of the label material, perhaps they behave differently. However not much will outlast the Dymo for longevity I think.
Thanks for the reply Boswell. Your experience is exactly what I'm looking for, so I did a little googling about P-Touch printers. I had thought all of them used the same tape, but not so. Turns out mine uses the non-laminated M-series tape. Sounds like the TZe tape is the droid I'm looking for.

Yippie – another tool to buy!

Here's another gizmo in the same hemisphere that is REALLY handy to have for shop-related documents:

screenshot_5294.jpg

Thanks for the reply Boswell. Your experience is exactly what I'm looking for, so I did a little googling about P-Touch printers. I had thought all of them used the same tape, but not so. Turns out mine uses the non-laminated M-series tape. Sounds like the TZe tape is the droid I'm looking for.

Yippie – another tool to buy!
Yep. TZe puts a clear laminate over the printed label as it prints. BTW, The one I have attaches to a computer and so I can use a real keyboard to type out the labels and save templates for future use etc. I have 3 of these, one in the shop, one in the office and my wife has one. :)

Back