Lagun Ftv-1

Ski

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Lagun FTV-1 - rebuild

Hello, I rebuilt this lagun a couple years back and lost a bunch of the pictures I took. Or so I thought. I found the majority so am going to post this. I believe I got spanked on this purchase as I was led to believe the seller did not know what was wrong with it. During the teardown I found serious damage and almost scrapped it along with evidence that it had been at least partially torn down. Worst damage was it was run with bearings so far gone it damaged the front variable speed shaft. I decided to go ahead with it because I like the challenge of it. A suggestion to anyone delaying a repair to a noisy machine. Don't do it. Ski

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
In addition to the damaged shaft the ways had some wear. My goal once committing to the rebuild was to rebuild just the head and repair/replace any damaged or missing parts. I very quickly found that Lagun parts are scarce used and Expensive new but it generally seemed a high quality machine,and WAS probably a very nice one in its day. I recieved a bunch of help from a gentleman from the company named Carmen Morrow. He helped with this project off and on for at least a good dozen phone calls. I also was helped by another online friend. There is a lot to be said for someone with the skill and patience to assist you online or by phone. Lagun variable speed heads evolved into I think at least 3 generations with not all the parts interchangable,at least not completly. I came close enough to scrapping it that
i researched the price of scrap iron and inventoried the sellable used parts. The pulley picture is a picture of the motor pulley. It is a picture of what I thought was a pin but came to find out it was the end of a key. I should probably note that while I am a fair mechanic thanks to the USAF and the USMC. ,I am not a trained machinist. My knowledge of this machine came with a few scrapes and bumps in the road. Ski

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I am probably going to jump around here and there. These are photos of the column and maybe a few others. Once I was committed to this I did not want to leave the worn ways go. During teardown , I found at least one lube line that was worn though.That contibuted heavily to the condition of one of the table ways and probably to the others as well considering the lube probably travels a path of least resistance. This lube system is not metered. Other newer versions are. I would guess a metered system would waste less oil. I will also admit to another blunder in that I initially did not get the column scraped in. My thoughts were that you could see original scrapeing marks clearly. After I put the knee on ,I quickly found out that there was no gib adjustment left. Moral of the story is don't waste road time,fuel and 2 more 3 hour round trips to A&D in Roberts Wisconsin. This was NOT their fault. The father and son team do great work. I wish I had the opportunity to learn a skill like this when I was younger. I just plain and simple dig working on machines ! I had them grind/scrape/refit fit the table,saddle,knee and column. I also had them plug a few tabletop blunders that were inherited with the machine. I basically delivered the cleaned parts in order to save me money. To address the hole in the lube line I made several clips for new line and secured them with 4/40 caphead screws. I only broke one 4/40 tap . I added some in other spots as well. I ended up using a box of those 4/40 screws on all the little pointers and tags on the whole machine. The 1st pic of the whole colunm is before the grind/scrape/flake . Ski

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
that sounds like a hell of a journey and I'm sorry to hear that you were mislead. Sadly there are often people that think that's acceptable, they have their reasons I guess. Good to hear that you sorted it out - any more pictures, particularly of the finished work? That column all on its own is a bit of a tease...

Reactions: Ski
that sounds like a hell of a journey and I'm sorry to hear that you were mislead. Sadly there are often people that think that's acceptable, they have their reasons I guess. Good to hear that you sorted it out - any more pictures, particularly of the finished work? That column all on its own is a bit of a tease...
I'll be putting more up as I sort them out. While it could have went a better way ,the end result turned out pretty good. Thanks for the comments. Ski

Re: Lagun FTV-1 -> In trail...

Thanks for the thread Ski. I find it particularly interesting that I bought a SB 13" lathe in '14 which I just finished refurbing about two months ago and have a Lagun FTV-2S that's in the holding pattern for the same. Well, after I finish the almost complete DoAll MetalMaster that's in-work anyways.

Needless to say, it's been a busy year and I've enjoyed being in trail behind you all year. You make a fine lead!

Reactions: Ski
Re: Lagun FTV-1 -> In trail...

Thanks for the thread Ski. I find it particularly interesting that I bought a SB 13" lathe in '14 which I just finished refurbing about two months ago and have a Lagun FTV-2S that's in the holding pattern for the same. Well, after I finish the almost complete DoAll MetalMaster that's in-work anyways.

Needless to say, it's been a busy year and I've enjoyed being in trail behind you all year. You make a fine lead!

I enjoyed the job. I set it back when the 13 fell in my lap but that was so I could sell the heavy 10 for needed money. Have fun. Get a copy of the manual as well. It is a lot of help but moreso from the parts breakdowns. AND make friends with Carmen Morrow. Ski

Here are some partial pictures of the grind/scrape and flake work done by A&D machine rebuilders. Look back at the pictures already posted and you can see the column not done and done. I will take some good shots of the complete machine as it sits in a few days when I warm up the shop on my days off. The table has been done on 3 sides I think. Table was not perfect and a couple holes were plugged before grinding.The angle iron on top of the table are brackets I whipped up to handle it with a auto engine hoist or cherry picker as some call it. I also made up a set to handle the knee which needs to be raised up quite a bit to clear the column. I think I only have 1 view of the saddle. While the grind was done I whipped out the welder cart so the pic was in the bunch and I thought I'd share. ki

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
These are pictures of the fine feed wheel which was cracked through the spinner handle threads. A new one was expensive at around probably 80 bucks including shipping. I filed it clean and used some wire for reinforcing and then epoxied a nutsert that I scavenged out of a piece of old furniture. 1/4x20 thead I think but better steel than plastic threads.Then I made my first ever knurled spinner knob for it. Painted it a wrinkle paint. I should note that I modified a couple bridgeport parts to fit this machine but I am unwilling to buy something I was not sure would fit so that said,there may be other interchangeable parts maybe even this wheel. Ski

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Back