Lagun Ftv-1

Nice work, very impressive. You now have a beautiful/new mill. I really dig the frosting/scraping work.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Ski
I may have a few more pics but that is most. Anything in particular you need a shot of? One thing to be aware of is if the head is noisy,it may mean bushings and bearings. That is doable for most. However,pay close attention to the overall condition. Mine was used and abused and the cost to restore was more due to that. A machine that was well used but taken care along the way would have been a blessing. Take tools and play with the gib adjustments. ALL of them too. That will at least indicate wear. Screws are expensive so check wear in the middle and the ends of both the X and Y. My head was so badly treated that the lower front drive pulley bearing only had a few balls left in it. That would be the one at the bottom of the lower housing above the spindle. The upper front shaft was damaged although I did do a sleeve on it I ended up finding a newer front shaft and pulley setup with a new brake. It was also noisy and I thought bushings. I got a heck of a education.

To be honest: I am interested in as many photos as possible. They will serve as reference for me during rebuild as there is little info on the web on this particular mill. The most valuable photos are those showing milling head during tear down and reassmebly. In my case I have no chance to buy any new part for this mill.

Could you tell me how did you strip the old paint off and what paint did you choose for painting?

I like your thread a lot, Ski:)

Last edited:
I did not do as many pics as I should have but it is very similar to the bridgeport. There is a bridgeport manual downloadable that someone did that is very helpfull. The Lagun manual is very helpfull and inludes parts breakdowns which are also usefull. I scrubbed the whole machine with scotchbrite pads and mineral spirits. I did not remove solidly attached paint. Just sanded the whole machine and then primed bare spots and topcoated with sherwin williams machine paint. I used brush and small roller to paint. I also used a leveling additive in the paint to minimize brush marks.

Great rebuild post, thanks.

On the noise, could you give me some more details? Was the noise all the time or just in certain pulley positions? All speeds or only certain speeds?

Ski, regarding sherwin williams machine paint - did you use one-part alkyd enamel or two-part epoxy/urethane?

What kind of bearings are used in the milling head? I'm not thinking about spindle bearing here. Are they open or sealed ones? Is it good idea to use sealed (rubber sealed or ZZ - metal closed) bearings? They are factory greased for lifetime, no swarfs/dust will get into the balls/races.

I used quality sealed bearings. I will have to look from where and let you know. Not Lagun though. Source parts from cheapest place but make sure they are quality equal to Lagun. The sealed spindle bearings are also an option but that is a arguable point. I know there are companies that are doing sealed bearings on spindles now. Do a search on that. The same brand Bushings Lagun uses can be had from Motion Industries. Parts are expensive from Lagun but I would argue that factory prices would be high from Bridgeport as well if it existed in its's original form.
I used the one part sherwin williams paint and their oil based primer. Very little filler needed.
Sanddan, The head was very noisy but since I never heard a bad one I made a uneducated guess and bought the machine thinking bushings were bad. They were, but were only part of the problem. If you know or have a friend who is a machinist. I would suggest picking their brain or better yet ,bribe them into assisting you in evaluating a machine if you do not already have one. In my case I could have scrapped and parted the machine but chose to restore it. I got spanked on it but decided to make some lemonaide.

There is one more spanish made knee type BP clone. It is called Holke F-10-V. Does anyone know sth about this one?

Here are some partial pictures of the grind/scrape and flake work done by A&D machine rebuilders. Look back at the pictures already posted and you can see the column not done and done. I will take some good shots of the complete machine as it sits in a few days when I warm up the shop on my days off. The table has been done on 3 sides I think. Table was not perfect and a couple holes were plugged before grinding.The angle iron on top of the table are brackets I whipped up to handle it with a auto engine hoist or cherry picker as some call it. I also made up a set to handle the knee which needs to be raised up quite a bit to clear the column. I think I only have 1 view of the saddle. While the grind was done I whipped out the welder cart so the pic was in the bunch and I thought I'd share. ki

View attachment 94037 View attachment 94038 View attachment 94039 View attachment 94040 View attachment 94041 View attachment 94042 View attachment 94048
Looks like you did a nice job!

Reactions: Ski
Moderators, Is it possible to move this Lagun thread to the new Lagun Section? Probably others that may be easier to find there. Ski

Back