Lagun ftv2 head rebuild and other general ?'s

ashford

Registered
Registered
just purchased a big mill after about 10 years of keeping an eye out for one. the machine was heavily greased and put into storage so i wasn't able to operate or really check things out with a gallon of grease on everything. i got it home and ungreased the majority of it ways are a heavily worn but not garbage about .003 difference in table play from center to end.

got a vfd hooked upto it and makes horrible noises. I pull the head apart and the motor stationary sleeved is cracked and welded-poorly.
there is also about .002 of runout in the r8 bore, same runout on od of spindle, i was told bearings.

so far i have gotten $750 worth of bearings and belts from h&w machine and hot tanked the parts above the quill(screwed up the paint).
i have no service manual and probably be needing some specs and such.

only thing i can think of off the top of my head is torque values for bearing nuts and about how long is the pipe cleaner supposed to stick out of the oiler.

The FTV-1,2,3 manual is available as a reprint from Ozark Tools. It does not cover operation of the machine, just the maintenance info. Lagun beefed up a lot of components compared to the Bridgeport, so I would not attempt to do the bearing replacement without a manual. I'll take a look at mine this weekend to see if it has the spindle bearing setup and preload specs (IIRC it does). I recommend buying a copy. In the future, it will not become easier to find, the opposite is true. You need to have the mechanical drawings of the head at bare minimum.

As pontiac said, get a manual from Ozark(or Lagun) if for nothing else than the mechanical drawings. There's also a procedure in there for removing the quill. If you need tech advice, you can call Lagun, and ask for Carmen. Very knowledgable and helpful.

H&W machine was kind enough to give me a pdf parts manual with my order of around $900. since then its been a headache(pun intended)

belt sheave was cracked and poorly welded so it had about 1/8 runout, bought a 9x2 cast disk from mcmaster carr and made my own. never want to cut that much cast iron again in a little lathe. my halfnut gave out almost right away so all of my x cutting was manual. the only problem i had was when i was cutting the bore i wanted to stop about 0-.001 under size and hone the rest of the way, being the grizly machine it is i was at .002 under and making 2 .0005cuts took nothing off the next .0005 took .003 off. so i had to use sleeve retaining coumpound on the sheave to shaft.

i have the head back together, need to pull the motor and change bearings and the quill guard but i made first chips on my birthday.

next things to do are make an attempt to regrind the r8 taper and pull the bed and saddle off for cleaning.

Attachments

• 20200926_165310_jpg-1608495.JPG
    20200926_165310_jpg-1608495.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200926_134502_jpg-1608489.JPG
    20200926_134502_jpg-1608489.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200926_154842_jpg-1608487.JPG
    20200926_154842_jpg-1608487.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 10
Nice job on the sheave! Are you going to grind the R8 yourself, or send it out? I got lucky with mine. The head runs nice and quiet, and they( A&D Machine Tool Rebuilders ) measured the R8 taper runout at 3 tenths. Should get loaded on the barge in Seattle and on it's way to Alaska next week!

Back