Lagunmatic CNC machine why not!

The machine seems to be wired for 240 volts. Looks like all of the controls are single phase, so only the spindle motor requires 3 phase.

I can't read the tags on the servo drives in the cabinet, but comparing them to my drives they look the same. To the right of servo drives looks like a multi-voltage power supply. This probably supplies power to the controller, probably supplies 5 and 12V, and maybe 24V

The servo motors look to be rated at 1.2KW and I'm guessing are actually running on about 100V DC. That should be supplied by the big transformer in the upper center of the cabinet.

I was able to verify power to the control panel, but its non responsive. Pressing on the power button, the servos all power up and go one direction. It doesnt stay on, after releasing the power button, the system turns off. I unplugged the control panel, pressed the power button again, and the servo drives turn on and stay on with a loud continous alarm sound. I think its safe to say the Fagor control panel is gone

Yup, kinda sounds that way.

So the next choice is to decide if you want to use the existing servos, and then to match a control system to them.

Might as well use the servos that are in place already. Two are old, but one has been replaced. And I know that they all work, so thats not an issue. I was just reading up a little on the Kflop and mesa boards.
So basically, wire up the kflop or mesa board and figure out to get it to read on the computer?

Well in a nutshell that's about it. So the next question is what CNC software you want to use. I think Dynomotion has their own CNC software, Mach3/4 is an option also. Not sure if Centroid is compatible with either of those boards, but they also have boards that will interface with those servos.

I was leaning towards Mach4. I also kinda wanted to try linuxcnc. Im thinking that Mach4 is proably more user friendly and easier to learn. I played around with Ubuntu a little bit back in the day, but seem to take me awhile to figure things out.

Mach4 is fine. Now you just need to identify all of the existing wiring and hardware, you need to create an I/O map and an accurate schematic with wire colors. Then decide what you are going to use and what you can remove. You will want to pretty much keep the power controls intact to the degree possible, and figure out the needed modifications and wiring changes.

Thanks Jim, sounds pretty simple.
Im also thinking about putting a vfd instead of running of my RFC. I would be able to control the spindle on and off and speed with mach4 on the computer right?
The kflop/kanalog is compatiable with most servo drivers/controllers? Incase my servo drives arent so good? I see a gekodrivers for brushed dc motors are only $115 each

It is pretty simple. I did the upgrade on mine in 1 1/2 days, didn't even take the job off of the table. That thread seems to be missing from H-M, I guess I need to recreate it. But here is a similar thread of Alloy's Shizuoka upgrade, done in my shop also. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shizouka-an-s-build.33868/

A VFD for the spindle would be my choice.

Yes, Mach4 can control the spindle VFD.

Kflop/Kanalog can control most servo drives.

Thanks Jim, Im going to order the Kflop/Kanalog this weekend. That Shizuoka build is amazing! Hopefully my upgrade doesnt take me to terribly long.

Back