Lagunmatic CNC machine why not!

Didnt really find any info on the motors, other than they are 1000 encoders. Im going to assume the blacks are A-B-. If White and green are A+ and B+ then black would be A-and B- . Maybe Fargor labeled them weird just for giggles.
I had to order a little stepdown transformer for the kflop board. I have 24vdc in the box, Ill tap the 24vdc for the 24vdc to 5vdc transformer. Also have a 24vdc to 12vdc transformer for the kflop board too, but not sure I need 12v to the board.
Maybe in a few days Ill see if this all works, or if I burn the garage down.

Im going to assume the blacks are A-B-. If White is A+ then black would be A-.

That picture tells the story, hadn't seen it before. Now I understand. I don't think you have encoders at all, but rather resolvers.

A~ and B~ depict a 1V P-P sine wave for a sine/cos type encoder

Io and /Io are the index pulse

If A, /A, B, /B are not connected, then those encoders are not going to work with the Kanalog, it wants to see a square wave quadrature encoder.

Looks like the Fagor control can be configured to work with either type of output.

Exactly which pin is each wire connected to?

Last edited:
Looks like you need to install new encoders. I found this company has a large selection of kits for refitting to servos

I should mention I went cheap and got single end US digital encoders for my Hardinge CHNC years ago. Worked fine UNLESS the turret was moving while an axis moved. Then the noise caused a position change. Ruined parts was the result. It drove me nucking futs finding this issue.

Ever sense, differential encoders is the only way to go.

karl

I tried drawing a pic in paint.
Maybe I can take apart the servos and take some photos I wouldnt know the difference between encoders or resolvers. Ill get a few more photos of the back of the Fagor box too. fagor encoders.jpg

OK, that tells the story. You do have single ended quadrature encoders. Only using A, B, and I. They are not sine/cos encoders. Not the best, but will work, but as stated above, subject to electrical noise. These would connect to A, B, and I (or Z) on the Kanalog board. /A, /B, and /I would not be connected.

Wow Jim! Your knowledge is impressive!. Resolvers, encoders, single ended quadrature all new words today for me.
What are the draw backs or positives of these single ended quadrature encoders? The table will be skipping .01 or like .00001?
What is the sideways money symbols? On the back of the fargor box?IMG_20191109_102048412.jpgIMG_20191109_102048412.jpg

I've just been doing this for a few years. :) Thank you.

A~ and B~ depict a 1V Peak to Peak sine wave for a sine/cos type encoder. Not common today, but used a lot back in the day. Digital electronics has improved a lot in the last 30 years.

Single ended quadrature encoders are subject to electrical noise, and thus might add pulses to the positioning which means that it is possible to come up short on a move. Or pulses may be added when it is just sitting there. Overall not a good situation. Why they would have used those in the original installation is beyond me. The cost difference is about 0, at least today, and there is no advantage to using single ended output encoders.

Modern electronics (Kanalog board in your case) are much more sensitive to electrical noise because of the lower switching currents used. The old stuff required a bit more current to switch, so was more immune to external electrical noise.

Differential quadrature (line driver output) encoders are almost noise immune and much more reliable.

Ill just wrap some wires with tin foil to make a noise filter....lol jk.
Lots to take in today.
My skill level is not to uber precision part making, so Ill probably be alright.
Going to work on making a drawbar today while I wait for those step down transformers.

FWIW, differential was considerable more expensive 20 years ago. I got single end on my Excello mill, very similar to your mill. It has ran without issue for 18 years with camsoft.

Today, the cost difference is almost nothing.

Back