Lagunmatic CNC machine why not!

I would expect some voltage when turned on. That's how the rotor is locked. If it under proper control of the Kanalog board, the voltage should increase as you attempt to turn the motor shaft, thus trying to maintain position.

As far as the fans, they should come on when the drives are powered up. I would rewire the relays so they are under your control. Originally they may have been under the control of the Fagor controller. In my cabinet there is one fan that comes on at system power up for general cabinet air flow, the two servo drive cooling fans are wired into the same relay that powers up the the drives, thus only come on when the drives are powered up. The drives themselves do not control my fans.

I will have to go back and work on the relays.
Turn the power on I get a couple of rotations on the X axis then stops.
X axis I get .04ish volts. Its fluctuation a little bit
Y axis has .03 volts and
Y axis 0
X axis encoder was reading as the motor was turning.
Y axis encoder was going, but the motor wasnt turning? Turn the motor by hand and the encoder seems to read smooth and normal?

Y axis encoder was going, but the motor wasnt turning? Turn the motor by hand and the encoder seems to read smooth and normal?

Electrical noise. Time to connect the /A, /B, and /M on all of the encoders. As I mentioned before, modern electronics are more sensitive to electrical noise than the old stuff.

Also, due to the waveform of the servo drive PWM output, you may not be able to accurately measure the voltage across the armature, you really need a scope to do this correctly. Nothing to worry about as long as it works OK.

I did connect /A,/B/M. I think the connection inside the encoder might be bad. The screw for the terminal was seized on /B and /M. The post the screw is in broke free before the screw did. ? The wires for the encoder are shielded and wraped with a naked wire thats not connected to anything, should this be tied to a earth ground?

That is not good. You will need to fix the connection.

The shield wire should be connected at one end only, either to earth or signal ground, depending on which works the best. I normally make the connection at the panel end.

Im not sure how the encoders are attached to shaft. I dont see a key. They seem to be attached with a spring looking shaft.

I do have some relay issues I need to track down. I pulled all the relays, and I can still press the power button and hold it down and it provides power to the SD. :rolleyes:

Normally encoders are attached with some kind of flexible coupling. I have even used a short piece of air hose and hose clamps. Also many tome the encoders are mounted on a flex plate of some kind, the idea is to allow the encoder to radialy and axialy float with a solid rotational joint.

My best guess is that the servo power button is directly connected to the servo SSR, and that is sealed in by one of the other relays. The E-stop should be in series with the servo power button.

Here is the way mine is wired

1573931422263.png

Think I found a small issue. (One of many, lol)The SD drivers are not turing on. I have 120vAC the the SD driver when my power button is pressed. Checked for 15v on pin J4, thats affirmed. Reading the Trouble shooting section of the SD manual, pin 14&15 are supposed to "pulled low"? I removed these and disconnected, all the limit switches. :rolleyes:. What does pulled low mean? and What should I be doing with pin 14&15.

If the jumpers have been cut, I think to override the limit switch connection on pins 14 and 15, you need to connect those pins to pin 9 or 11 (power supply common & ground) (pulled low = connected to ground)

Last edited:
Had to order some molex connectors. Going to be a few days delay. :frown:
Ill work on encoders for a the next few days till the molex connectors get here

Back