Landmark's PM-30MV CNC Conversion

Landmark

Registered
Registered
I pulled the trigger on a new PM-30MV mill for my CNC conversion. There are lost of decisions left but I'm going with the Masso Controller and ClearPath motors. Please watch this thread for updates.

We need photos and lots of details!

How did you decide to pick that machine instead of the others or the top of the line machine?

How did you decide to pick that machine instead of the others or the top of the line machine?
Good question. I already have a good size bench top mill, the Grizzly G0762. My original plan was to get a smaller mill like the G0704 that a lot of people get for conversion. But the more I looked at the different options the more I thought it would be too small and lightweight. I looked at a lot of other mills and went with the PM-30MV because it was already belt drive so I wouldn't have to do that conversion. It was also heavier and supposedly it has better castings and finish than the other mills in it's class. I didn't want to pay so much for the base mill so a bigger more expensive mill wasn't really an option.

Do you have a 3D modeling program? Have you ever used one? What about converting from design to a machine driven program? I am asking as I have none of the above or experience.

Do you have a 3D modeling program? Have you ever used one? What about converting from design to a machine driven program? I am asking as I have none of the above or experience.

I could chime in here a little bit. I, and many others, use Fusion 360 by Autodesk, the same folks that put out AutoCad. Fusion has a huge following and there are a ton of help videos by Autodesk themselves along with the likes of Lars Christensen and a few others that put out great how-to's. I have never paid for Fusion 360 and it is supposed to be free for anyone that is utilizing it for hobby use or even commercial as long as you stay below $100k a year.
The other option is Solidworks which is also available for "free" for hobbyist and educational use through the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA). For the price of their membership, which is something like $45 or $50 you can download what is essentially a full fledged version of Solidworks.
With all that being said, Fusion has toolpath built into it, whereas Solidworks it is an add on. The program for tool paths used to be called HSM and AutoDesk bought them out and then baked the HSM works into Fusion 360. It is very slick and seamless.

I use to do a lot of woodworking and used Sketchup for 3D modeling my projects. When I got a 3D printer I continued to use it to produce .stl files printing the models.

Now I am learning Fusion 360 which has a CAM function for creating tool paths for the CNC machine.

like you, I ordered a PM-30 three days ago to do the same. Clearpath servos, Arizona99 cnc hardware kit, but I'm going with a Centroid Acorn controller and a 24inch touch screen. Should be fun but I have lots to learn.

BTW, What Clearpath models are you going with?

I wouldn't use sketchup for anything machining.

Back