Landmark's PM-30MV CNC Conversion

like you, I ordered a PM-30 three days ago to do the same. Clearpath servos, Arizona99 cnc hardware kit, but I'm going with a Centroid Acorn controller and a 24inch touch screen. Should be fun but I have lots to learn.

BTW, What Clearpath models are you going with?
That's great!! Let's keep in touch as the builds progress. II'm not sure what model CP to use. What are you looking at? Is the Arizona99 kit available yet? I thought he was still working on it. I looked at the Centroid a long time ago and from what I remembered it was really expensive. Now I see they have a entry level system that is affordable. It still requires a PC though.

I'm still new at all this so I have a lot to learn too.

Mark

That's great!! Let's keep in touch as the builds progress. II'm not sure what model CP to use. What are you looking at? Is the Arizona99 kit available yet? I thought he was still working on it. I looked at the Centroid a long time ago and from what I remembered it was really expensive. Now I see they have a entry level system that is affordable. It still requires a PC though.

I'm still new at all this so I have a lot to learn too.

Mark

I am "looking at," but not completely settled on, the 3432ELS - 1,396 oz/in for the Z and 3421ELS 1,094 oz/in for the X&Y. All of these are "enhanced" but I'm still researching this to see if this is advantageous or not. I also think that these are bigger than necessary but I am not seeing a lot of downside to overkill. And the lower torque nema 34 models are higher rpm which I don't need on a mill.

David (Arizona99) is currently finishing the first few "kits" and told me a couple weeks. David has been super helpful and awesome to communicate with me - an obvious first timer. I have a deposit i on this kit so I hope to have it by the end of the month.

And I too am using Fusion 360 which I REALLY like for design and have been using a lot over the last year with a 3d printer. Hope I like it as much for CAM. And I am really excited about the Centroid Acorn as an alternative to Mach.

Paul

Sub'ed and excited to see how this goes.

I looked into Masso when I started looking for a new controller for my 940cnc, but ultimately ended up with the Centroid Acorn. I really really like it, it is very easy to setup and use, and they are an industry known name. That being said, the Masso looks like a killer little unit and I'd really like to see one in action. There aren't any videos I can find on YouTube of someone really using the controller. There are a few of people running really conservative... I wanna see what happens when you crank it up to 70+IPM in an adaptive tool path.

Also, here is a link to Shooter123456's thread. Dude has skills, no doubt. He is building a machine very similar to what you are talking about (Clearpath servos and all).

PZ

I am "looking at," but not completely settled on, the 3432ELS - 1,396 oz/in for the Z and 3421ELS 1,094 oz/in for the X&Y. All of these are "enhanced" but I'm still researching this to see if this is advantageous or not. I also think that these are bigger than necessary but I am not seeing a lot of downside to overkill. And the lower torque nema 34 models are higher rpm which I don't need on a mill.

David (Arizona99) is currently finishing the first few "kits" and told me a couple weeks. David has been super helpful and awesome to communicate with me - an obvious first timer. I have a deposit i on this kit so I hope to have it by the end of the month.

And I too am using Fusion 360 which I REALLY like for design and have been using a lot over the last year with a 3d printer. Hope I like it as much for CAM. And I am really excited about the Centroid Acorn as an alternative to Mach.

Paul
I had decided to machine the ball screw and bearing mounts myself. Now I am seconding guessing that decision.
Sub'ed and excited to see how this goes.

I looked into Masso when I started looking for a new controller for my 940cnc, but ultimately ended up with the Centroid Acorn. I really really like it, it is very easy to setup and use, and they are an industry known name. That being said, the Masso looks like a killer little unit and I'd really like to see one in action. There aren't any videos I can find on YouTube of someone really using the controller. There are a few of people running really conservative... I wanna see what happens when you crank it up to 70+IPM in an adaptive tool path.

Also, here is a link to Shooter123456's thread. Dude has skills, no doubt. He is building a machine very similar to what you are talking about (Clearpath servos and all).

PZ
Thanks for the link. I have seen his name on some threads but haven't looked at his build because it was for a different build. I am going to check it out because you can always learn something from any build. I've been reading forums, instagram, and watching youtube for a long time and I want to start giving back. So I plan to post as much as I can before, during, and after the build.

I placed my order for the PM-30MV before noon on the 29th and still haven't received any tracking information. Hopefully it will ship early next week.

Mark

Update: I received an email today notifying me that my mill will ship on Friday 2/8. I ordered it on 1/29 but it took a little longer to ship because they were still clearing the back orders from last year.

Update: I received an email today notifying me that my mill will ship on Friday 2/8. I ordered it on 1/29 but it took a little longer to ship because they were still clearing the back orders from last year.
Great! I ordered mine same day you did so I hope to have mine about the same time. BTW, Today I ordered the three Clearpath steppers I mentioned above along with two of the bigger power supplies. I also ordered a bunch or Tormach TTS tooling as I will be going down the power drawbar/automatic tool changer route later this year. Just need to get the CNC kit from David and figure out what vise(s) to get.

Great! I ordered mine same day you did so I hope to have mine about the same time. BTW, Today I ordered the three Clearpath steppers I mentioned above along with two of the bigger power supplies. I also ordered a bunch or Tormach TTS tooling as I will be going down the power drawbar/automatic tool changer route later this year. Just need to get the CNC kit from David and figure out what vise(s) to get.
It looks like our mills are going to be more alike now. I backed out of the Masso and ordered the Acorn. In talking with a friend of mine that has a Masso on his mill said they were still developing backlash compensation and probing wizards. I got worried what else might be missing or not working correctly.

What are you going to use for the PC / monitor?

I've been buying TTS tooling for my G0762 that I will be able to share with the PM30. A PDB is a top priority for me. Have you seen CNC4XR7 on YouTube? He has a Tormach style PDB for the PM-727M.

I'm really interested to see what you think about the ClearPaths.

It looks like our mills are going to be more alike now. I backed out of the Masso and ordered the Acorn. In talking with a friend of mine that has a Masso on his mill said they were still developing backlash compensation and probing wizards. I got worried what else might be missing or not working correctly.

What are you going to use for the PC / monitor?

I bought a Dell touchscreen all-in-one pc last week. It is an i5 processor with 12gb of ram. It was on sale for one day at Staples for $600 so I snagged it. It's back to $800 now. I have it setup and communicating with the Acorn perfectly with zero issues - so far. The 24" touch screen seems really good and I am hopeful that it will be perfect for this application. I really like the 24" size for my big fingers and progressively worse vision. BTW, I am going to order the Acorn wireless controller today.

I've been buying TTS tooling for my G0762 that I will be able to share with the PM30. A PDB is a top priority for me. Have you seen CNC4XR7 on YouTube? He has a Tormach style PDB for the PM-727M.

I'm really interested to see what you think about the ClearPaths.

Yes, I have seen CNC4XR7's videos (pretty much all of them). He does a good job with his setup. I am also getting lots of inspiration from cruddCNC on youtube. I have reached out to the China supplier (referenced in his version 2 video) for the air cylinders. I think they are on their new year break so I'll wait to hear back from them. Either way, I'm doing some version of this once I have the servos, electronics, tooling, etc. figured out. I also want more spindle rpm which will be a future project.

The Fogbuster kit I got from Tormach and the two IPC-5 Clearpath power supplies are due in today. Tonight I start putting together my electronics enclosure. My hope is to have this done and a full bench test complete the day the servos arrive. I know that limit/home switches and spindle control will take some time to sort out but that is all that should be needed after the mill is assembled.

Paul

Last edited:
I bought a Dell touchscreen all-in-one pc last week. It is an i5 processor with 12gb of ram. It was on sale for one day at Staples for $600 so I snagged it. It's back to $800 now. I have it setup and communicating with the Acorn perfectly with zero issues - so far. The 24" touch screen seems really good and I am hopeful that it will be perfect for this application. I really like the 24" size for my big fingers and progressively worse vision. BTW, I am going to order the Acorn wireless controller today.

Yes, I have seen CNC4XR7's videos (pretty much all of them). He does a good job with his setup. I am also getting lots of inspiration from cruddCNC on youtube. I have reached out to the China supplier (referenced in his version 2 video) for the air cylinders. I think they are on their new year break so I'll wait to hear back from them. Either way, I'm doing some version of this once I have the servos, electronics, tooling, etc. figured out. I also want more spindle rpm which will be a future project.

The Fogbuster kit I got from Tormach and the two IPC-5 Clearpath power supplies are due in today. Tonight I start putting together my electronics enclosure. My hope is to have this done and a full bench test complete the day the servos arrive. I know that limit/home switches and spindle control will take some time to sort out but that is all that should be needed after the mill is assembled.

Paul
My mill shipped on Thursday and arrived at the local terminal this afternoon. I assume I will be able to pick it up on Monday.

Back