Landmark's PM-30MV CNC Conversion

FYI guys, I have been buying referb. computers for Acorn builds. You can usually get one for less than $100 that will work great.

Like this:

Add a SSD like this and you are off to the races (works just fine with the HD it comes with):

I've been running refurbished HP 6300 pro and 8300 elite systems when ever I need a cheap computer. They're built well above the quality of the cheapo stuff you get from Wallmart and the like, and cheaper.

PZ

FYI guys, I have been buying referb. computers for Acorn builds. You can usually get one for less than $100 that will work great.

Like this:

Add a SSD like this and you are off to the races (works just fine with the HD it comes with):

I've been running refurbished HP 6300 pro and 8300 elite systems when ever I need a cheap computer. They're built well above the quality of the cheapo stuff you get from Wallmart and the like, and cheaper.

PZ
Thanks PZ,

Do you know what Dell model Centroid for their all-in-one PC? I would like to find one referd. Otherwise do you have a touch screen monitor recommendation?

Mark

I do not know the exact model number but I can make a decent guess.

Here is an all in one touch screen dell that meets all the requirements for CNC12 (scores 1997 on the single thread bench mark), and is very similar to Centroids offering:

-Not bad for $400
-It includes a 23.8" touch screen monitor, 8gb of ram vs the Centroid option that is only a 19" and 4bg of ram
-It does not have an SSD, but that could be purchased separately
-I'm not sure, but I'm guessing this is a home user level PC, where as what I posted above is a business class PC (business class should be more reliable)

Honestly that looks like a good machine to run CNC12. Considering that you get a touch screen and comp all in one shot. HOWEVER, I don't like having the computer built into the screen... maybe it's from my industrial maintenance days, but separating out components makes trouble shooting easier, and it also makes replacing the broken stuff cheaper. I'm also not a fan of having the computer out of a cabinet. This will need to be mounted near the machine, and when chips are flying the seem to go everywhere you don't want them, including into the computer running the machine. I'd prefer to only have the monitor/keyboard/mouse out by the machine... just my two cents.

This is the monitor I've been looking at:

With the all in one vs the monitor/PC combo you're pretty close in price... I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on the monitor because my setup has other more pressing issues that I need to spend money on... But some day I will have a touch screen. It would certainly make CNC12 easier to use.

PZ

I do not know the exact model number but I can make a decent guess.

Here is an all in one touch screen dell that meets all the requirements for CNC12 (scores 1997 on the single thread bench mark), and is very similar to Centroids offering:

-Not bad for $400
-It includes a 23.8" touch screen monitor, 8gb of ram vs the Centroid option that is only a 19" and 4bg of ram
-It does not have an SSD, but that could be purchased separately
-I'm not sure, but I'm guessing this is a home user level PC, where as what I posted above is a business class PC (business class should be more reliable)

Honestly that looks like a good machine to run CNC12. Considering that you get a touch screen and comp all in one shot. HOWEVER, I don't like having the computer built into the screen... maybe it's from my industrial maintenance days, but separating out components makes trouble shooting easier, and it also makes replacing the broken stuff cheaper. I'm also not a fan of having the computer out of a cabinet. This will need to be mounted near the machine, and when chips are flying the seem to go everywhere you don't want them, including into the computer running the machine. I'd prefer to only have the monitor/keyboard/mouse out by the machine... just my two cents.

This is the monitor I've been looking at:

With the all in one vs the monitor/PC combo you're pretty close in price... I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on the monitor because my setup has other more pressing issues that I need to spend money on... But some day I will have a touch screen. It would certainly make CNC12 easier to use.

PZ
Looks like 2 really good options. I like the all-in-one because there is a little less cabling. I see your point about having separate components. A machine shop isn't the most computer friendly environment. I looked through my junk yard (home office) yesterday and found a referb Dell Inspiron 3668 that I forgot I had purchased for a CNC plasma table I was building. I got side tracked and never finished the table. It has a Intel Core i3-7100 @ 3.90GHz with a score of 2229. It has 8GB memory but lacks a SSD. Looks like the decision has been made for me. Separate monitor it is.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

BTW: Hopefully I will be able to pickup my mill today. SAIA seems to have tracking issues.

SAIA online tracking showed that the mill arrived at my local terminal on Saturday evening. I called Monday morning excited to go pickup my new toy. After some delay the customer service rep said that the mill was in Dallas and would be arriving in Houston on Tuesday. I strongly protested their tracking applet so proudly displayed on their front page said the mill was in fact in Houston and had never been to Dallas. That's when I learned that they use a different tracking system and the online information was wrong. It was supposed to be raining all day so I wasn't really all that upset.

I called bright and early this morning and found out that it did make the trip to Houston and was being unloaded. The rep verified verified my phone number and they would call when it was ready for pickup. I thought, "yeah right!". I've heard that many times from service businesses and was left sitting by the phone all day without a call. So I got breakfast and headed for the terminal. To my surprise I got a call alone the way saying my shipment was ready for pickup.

Sorry for the sad story. Now for the pictures everyone is waiting for.

Loaded and ready to roll

Yup, there is a mill in there

\

Just hanging out. That Harbor Freight hoist I installed gets'er done

I received the ball screws for my #pm30mv from eBay seller #linearmotionbearings2008. They are pre-machined for the PM30MV and include bearing blocks and nuts. They are cut and machined for the PM-30MV and include bearing blocks. I may use the bearing blocks to get started but replace them with parts that I machine or buy a set from @Arizona99 (Dave) on YouTube. You can see the ebay listing here.

could you mount your handwheels or power feed with this set of screws?

I know you said they were premachined but did you have to do any work or will they bolt up direct without issues?

Thanks , Kirk

My conversion project has been stalled since I got the screws due to budget issues. The screws came with bearing mounts but I need adapter plates to mount them to the #pm30mv. It has also been suggested that the bearings would have too much axial play for a CNC mill so I may need to get new bearings. I also need the motors, drives, couplings, and etc. It all adds up!

The FK bearing block has the angular contact (AC) bearings. The FF block is a simple radial bearing which meant to float axially so it works fine. While not the greatest quality the cheap AC bearings can be made to work without replacing. My PM-932 conversion has been running for 5 years with all but one set of the original AC bearings. Often the bearings are installed incorrectly from the manufacturer and the tolerances of the block and cap are a little generous so some shimming is usually required to get the proper preload and remove any axial play.

In this post I show how to tuneup the block and bearings. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm932-cnc-build.21442/post-192473

Back