Lanolin and ??? (as rust preventer)

Uncle Bob

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Some time ago I saw a thread about a very effective rust preventer made from cooking lanolin and ?????
I think the ratio was 4:1 or 5:1.
Anyone remember the carrier?

Lanolin is used in "eds red". Equal parts Kerosene, mieral spirits, acetone, atf, and some lanolin for extended rust prevention.

Anhydrous lanolin is an option for Ed's Red. ( anhydrous= without water )
Dave

Hi folks, this is my first post.

I live in an area that is WET in winter and everything steel in the shed rusts. I use Lanox, it's $13AUD a can and lasts a couple of years. I spray it into a tin with a rag and then wipe everything down occasionally. No more rust

Here in New Zealand we get it in a tub or spray can. It's derived from our massive sheep industry. I'm told that somewhere in Scotland there is a 350 year old iron gate that is completely rust free due to sheep rubbing up against it all the time. I dont now if this is true but what I use it for seems to do great.

Here in New Zealand we get it in a tub or spray can. It's derived from our massive sheep industry. I'm told that somewhere in Scotland there is a 350 year old iron gate that is completely rust free due to sheep rubbing up against it all the time. I dont now if this is true but what I use it for seems to do great.

Yep, we have a dozen sheep in the backyard and more in the paddock across the road and none of the metal fences have any rust on them. So Lanolin definitely works.....

I use anhydrous lanolin straight from the jar on the turnbuckles for the rigging on my sailboat. The body of the turnbuckle is bronze and the fittings are stainless. It works well. It is also is good for stainless on stainless threaded fittings to prevent galling. It is rather thick and sticky, a heat gun will soften it. I would think mineral spirits would be a good option for thinning it. I bought a 1 lb jar at a pharmacy about 20 years ago, I still have about 90% of it. A little goes a long way.

Back