[4]

Lanolin and ??? (as rust preventer)

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Uncle Bob

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Some time ago I saw a thread about a very effective rust preventer made from cooking lanolin and ?????
I think the ratio was 4:1 or 5:1.
Anyone remember the carrier?

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Works for sheep.

derf

Registered
Registered
Cooking lanolin?????

Chuck K

Active User
Lanolin is used in "eds red". Equal parts Kerosene, mieral spirits, acetone, atf, and some lanolin for extended rust prevention.

ELHEAD

Active User
Anhydrous lanolin is an option for Ed's Red. ( anhydrous= without water )
Dave

warrjon

Registered
Registered
Hi folks, this is my first post.

I live in an area that is WET in winter and everything steel in the shed rusts. I use Lanox, it's $13AUD a can and lasts a couple of years. I spray it into a tin with a rag and then wipe everything down occasionally. No more rust

Ropata

Registered
Registered
Here in New Zealand we get it in a tub or spray can. It's derived from our massive sheep industry. I'm told that somewhere in Scotland there is a 350 year old iron gate that is completely rust free due to sheep rubbing up against it all the time. I dont now if this is true but what I use it for seems to do great.

warrjon

Registered
Registered
Here in New Zealand we get it in a tub or spray can. It's derived from our massive sheep industry. I'm told that somewhere in Scotland there is a 350 year old iron gate that is completely rust free due to sheep rubbing up against it all the time. I dont now if this is true but what I use it for seems to do great.
Yep, we have a dozen sheep in the backyard and more in the paddock across the road and none of the metal fences have any rust on them. So Lanolin definitely works.....

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
I use anhydrous lanolin straight from the jar on the turnbuckles for the rigging on my sailboat. The body of the turnbuckle is bronze and the fittings are stainless. It works well. It is also is good for stainless on stainless threaded fittings to prevent galling. It is rather thick and sticky, a heat gun will soften it. I would think mineral spirits would be a good option for thinning it. I bought a 1 lb jar at a pharmacy about 20 years ago, I still have about 90% of it. A little goes a long way.

pacifica

RGL
'Fluid film' should be easy to find and is lanolin based. You can buy a spray can at Amazon or Lowes.

dbq49

Registered
Registered
Yes on Practical Machinist they had a formula of 1 part lanolin and 3 parts ISO 68 oil. That oil is what was 20 weight non detergent oil. ISO 68 can be found at Northern Tool stores or oil suppliers by the gallons. 1# of lanolin was $14.00 on ebay.
DBQ49er

hman

Active User
A year or so ago, I got unhappy with the cost of Fluid Film (though it DOES work well!) Tried dissolving anhydrous lanolin in a series of solvents. Turpentine turned out to be the best solvent - easily dissolved a goodly amount of lanolin. Haven't done much with it since then - busy moving out of two houses (and shops!) into a new location, now trying to get everything unpacked and organized. But as soon as I'm "back in business," I plan to mix up a batch.

Richard King 2

Master Machine Tool Rebuilder & Instructor
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
OT a bit but GOOP hand cleaner with Lanolin (non abrasive) works super to clean granite surface plates. I use it to remove bearing blue.

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
Another vote for Fluidfilm. My can has lasted my over two years now. It takes just a little squirt so it lasts me forever.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
I've made and used eds red for many years. At one point using a gallon a year cleaning high priced trap guns. Those guys are picky to who they trust with a gun that cost over $30,000 dollars plus . A good job and reputation earned I offered and always made more in tips then I charged. I'm a vote for lanolin as a rust preventer.

aliva

Active User
LPS 1

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I mix lanolin with mineral spirits. Turps would work fine also.usually 1 part lanolin 5 parts mineral spirits and I then add a little oil for good measure.

Last edited:

randyjaco

Active User
PB Blaster's "Corrosion Stop" does the job for me. And I live on the Texas gulf coast. It is cheap and easy to apply.

Randy

[6]
[5] [7]