Lanolin and ??? (as rust preventer)

@middle.road, what a bummer! Lanolin mix will do well, but I'm thinking using VCI paper as drawer liners is a logical next step for you. VCI vapor stays trapped in drawers, so while not ideal like a ziploc, it should last a while and it's cheap.

I bought a roll of VCI paper (pricey at $40 a roll, but not much more than a couple cans of LPS) before I got a dehimidifier for the shop. At first, I was just wrapping things up before I put them in a drawer or a box, but soon I just covered the bottom of each drawer with it, because that roll is huge.

And yeah, it works well - at least in the sense that nothing in the VCI paper gets rust, unlike the stuff that touches a silica dessicant packet. I haven't done a controlled experiment, though, and the shop now has a dehumidifier, so I'm not ready to declare it a cure-all.

I bought a roll of VCI paper (pricey at $40 a roll, but not much more than a couple cans of LPS) before I got a dehimidifier for the shop. At first, I was just wrapping things up before I put them in a drawer or a box, but soon I just covered the bottom of each drawer with it, because that roll is huge.

And yeah, it works well - at least in the sense that nothing in the VCI paper gets rust, unlike the stuff that touches a silica dessicant packet. I haven't done a controlled experiment, though, and the shop now has a dehumidifier, so I'm not ready to declare it a cure-all.
VCI paper works well for items held in confined spaces. Be careful what type VCI paper you get, it is made for many different applications and will not work well or at all if you are using it to preserve a material it was not designed for.

Aaron W. Yes of course they do but some of us also like to take a short cut sometimes.. Sometimes the bought item is better than what we can make in our shops, and sometimes we are so busy that we need to buy some things. I don't see many people making their own drill bits or milling cutters. Some use indexable carbide inserts because they don't know how to grind their own HSS tools or can't be bothered.

For instance I find it hard to justify using inserts for single point screw cutting in a hobby situation. HSS is the much better way to go. But many prefer it because they don't feel confident in grinding their own tools.

I fell for the flubbery rubber drawer liner that looks woven but isn't. It eats certain types of plastic. It's worthless. You put your plastic item in the drawer, and a month later you take it out, and the solvents in the liner have eaten a pattern into it.

I found clear shelf liner at Lowe's, very cheap. I think it was 30 feet for $12. I'm using it in my Harbor Freight tool cart. It's fantastic. Unlike black liners, it doesn't turn the whole tray dark. You can actually see small items resting in the tray.

I was thinking of using something like burlap for drawers. Seems like it would be superior to any synthetic.

Hey Uncle Bob..... I saw a similar article and it was BEE'S Wax and lanolin oil I don't remember the mixing ratios But if any one does I would love to have it..... I have both products on a shelf that I would like mixing instructions for.

auto machining we use rustlick. iron is iron it think

I didn't write down who posted it (my apologies to the original poster!), but I did write his formula down: 3 parts lanolin, 3 parts mineral oil, 7 parts mineral spirits. Melt the lanolin, then stir in the other ingredients.

There's also a mix called "Ed's Red," consisting of 1 part lanolin, 5 parts mineral spirits, 1 part ATF.

Back