Lanolin and ??? (as rust preventer)

Yes on Practical Machinist they had a formula of 1 part lanolin and 3 parts ISO 68 oil. That oil is what was 20 weight non detergent oil. ISO 68 can be found at Northern Tool stores or oil suppliers by the gallons. 1# of lanolin was $14.00 on ebay.
DBQ49er

A year or so ago, I got unhappy with the cost of Fluid Film (though it DOES work well!) Tried dissolving anhydrous lanolin in a series of solvents. Turpentine turned out to be the best solvent - easily dissolved a goodly amount of lanolin. Haven't done much with it since then - busy moving out of two houses (and shops!) into a new location, now trying to get everything unpacked and organized. But as soon as I'm "back in business," I plan to mix up a batch.

OT a bit but GOOP hand cleaner with Lanolin (non abrasive) works super to clean granite surface plates. I use it to remove bearing blue.

I've made and used eds red for many years. At one point using a gallon a year cleaning high priced trap guns. Those guys are picky to who they trust with a gun that cost over $30,000 dollars plus . A good job and reputation earned I offered and always made more in tips then I charged. I'm a vote for lanolin as a rust preventer.

I mix lanolin with mineral spirits. Turps would work fine also.usually 1 part lanolin 5 parts mineral spirits and I then add a little oil for good measure.

Last edited:
PB Blaster's "Corrosion Stop" does the job for me. And I live on the Texas gulf coast. It is cheap and easy to apply.

Randy

Some time ago I saw a thread about a very effective rust preventer made from cooking lanolin and ?????
I think the ratio was 4:1 or 5:1.
Anyone remember the carrier?
Bob...I was looking over my “notes” on my phone and stumbled upon the recipe. FWIW... I’ve been just mixing raw lanolin I bought on Ebay and cutting it with mineral spirits.
Anyway... here’s the recipe.

Fluid film
The original formula is (by volume) 3 Lanolin, 3 Mineral oil and 7 Mineral Spirits [paint thinner]
The formula was available on the MSDS before the current owners bought FF.

There is a superior formula that offers better flow in cold. FF does not offer that.

Back