Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i have the most wonderful knife sharpening system,
the Lansky Sharpener

IMG_4087.jpg
i have sharpened my knives hundreds of times with this excellent sharpener.

My brother was going to use it the other night with a medium diamond hone,
but unfortunately the inserted thumbscrew bore and attachment end disintegrated under tightening pressure and rendered the holder useless for the system.

Always looking for a rabbit to pull out of a hat, i decided to copy the design and print it on 3D printers!!!

Here is the damaged end, that my brother tried to glue together :cautious:

IMG_4084.jpg
yeah, it didn't work too good.

I went to Tinkercad and mocked up the new abomination.
the design process rendered 2 damn nice copies, if i do say so myself
one copy was done on my Ender3 in clear PVB, the other copy was done on the Ender5 in gold PLA

IMG_4083.jpg
IMG_4082.jpg

I removed the diamond stone from the old holder and used Vinyl Cement to attach the stone to the holder

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

And the set is complete again , and i have a spare holder in the event another bites the dust!
IMG_4088.jpg

if you have not used the Lansky Sharpener,
Run, don't walk, to get one- they are better than sliced bread!!!

i can share the g-code if there is interest from the peanut gallery!

as always, thanks for looking!

Did you use a thread insert for the little thumb screw, tap the plastic or print the female threads?

Did you use a thread insert for the little thumb screw, tap the plastic or print the female threads?
I printed @ 80% infill
I just tapped the plastic
as long as I don’t overtighten the thumbscrew it should last for awhile

sometimes I have specified an extra thick wall thickness that I can tap into. Generally work ok if, like you said, I don't over tighten. I love my Lansky set as well. good save

The heat-set thread inserts work really well. It’s so much nicer to screw into metal threads. McMaster sells them.

Nice work Doc! I have that system, though I believe a different arrangement of stones. I can't say I love it. What is most bothersome, is that if you don't put some rubber or ? in the jaws of you blade clamp, it could mar them. Being one of my knives is over 2k, I can't risk that. Have you come up with anything?

Nice work Doc! I have that system, though I believe a different arrangement of stones. I can't say I love it. What is most bothersome, is that if you don't put some rubber or ? in the jaws of you blade clamp, it could mar them. Being one of my knives is over 2k, I can't risk that. Have you come up with anything?
Thank you!
i have not had an issue with the sharpener mount marring my knives.
i'm more likely to damage or scratch the knife using it.
i suppose plastic or rubber as you mentioned may alleviate scratching, but for a 2K knife, hand sharpening may be the best call

The reason I went Lansky, I have a difficult time keeping the angles solid by hand. I do find it very Zen and relaxing (doing fully manual with my Japanese whetstones..) I'm just not great at it, even after years of trying to perfect it. Anyway, great use of a 3-d printer!

Back