Is the Lansky vise made of aluminum or steel? I have the WE & the vise jaws are anodized aluminum. I just put a layer of blue masking tape on the blade & it has never marred any of the knives I've sharpened, even coated blades. Printer paper should work too, I use thick printer paper to protect finished parts from the chuck jaws on the lathe.

surely the knife is much harder than the Lansky clamp?

My jaws are die cast aluminum, yes the knife blade are MUCH harder, but if it’s polished, it will scratch it, if it’s Damascus, it will scratch it. Many years ago I had a stainless steel set of Cuisinarts knives (since moved up to Shun) but my mother in law washed on with those sponges that are safe for Teflon coatings....she left hundreds of fine scratches on stainless. Obviously stainless is much tougher than a sponges... so since then I’m very careful about things touching the blades. Rubber does fine, but I would prefer a billet aluminum jaw over this rough die cast one.

Attachments

• 0CFDDD2A-F914-4118-AB32-FE89A8EAD9E5.jpeg
    0CFDDD2A-F914-4118-AB32-FE89A8EAD9E5.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 8
In the long run most of the blades that I have sharpened with the Lansky clamp have ended up a bit scuffed. But it does not bother us on the kitchen knives. The masking tape idea must work well though if it became a problem.

I printed @ 80% infill
I just tapped the plastic
as long as I don’t overtighten the thumbscrew it should last for awhile

The stone carriers are a bit different on my set. The guide rod is straight and extends straight out of the stone carrier. The hole for the rod goes the almost the full length of the carrier. There are no set screws or threads to contend with.

My jaws are die cast aluminum, yes the knife blade are MUCH harder, but if it’s polished, it will scratch it, if it’s Damascus, it will scratch it. Many years ago I had a stainless steel set of Cuisinarts knives (since moved up to Shun) but my mother in law washed on with those sponges that are safe for Teflon coatings....she left hundreds of fine scratches on stainless. Obviously stainless is much tougher than a sponges... so since then I’m very careful about things touching the blades. Rubber does fine, but I would prefer a billet aluminum jaw over this rough die cast one.
my set doesn't have the same finish as the example you have. my jaws are smooth.
i'll nap a picture in the morning!

Is the Lansky vise made of aluminum or steel? I have the WE & the vise jaws are anodized aluminum. I just put a layer of blue masking tape on the blade & it has never marred any of the knives I've sharpened, even coated blades. Printer paper should work too, I use thick printer paper to protect finished parts from the chuck jaws on the lathe.
my vise is made from extruded aluminum, with a fine, but not polished finish.
i like the paper and tape ideas :eagerness:

Back