Lantern Chuck

Very ingenious....and thanks for making the plans available. I was getting ready to "guestimate" the dimensions. I plan to stick with the #6 through 1/4" screw design...covers most of what I do; at least for the present. Thanks again to all you guys!

Happy New Year Brandon428,

If I understand you correctly the item in question is the adaptor. I noted two Lowes Kobalt Kits that would supply all the pieces required, unfortunately they no longer seem to be available. As a substitute fix, an off the shelf standard ¼” 6 Point Hex Socket X ¼” drive will get the job done. You may already have what is needed in your tool box but any brand socket will do. Just make the bore for the socket a press fit. The drive bits are readily available.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask. More than happy to help.

Philip Shelton

Happy New Year Brandon428,

If I understand you correctly the item in question is the adaptor. I noted two Lowes Kobalt Kits that would supply all the pieces required, unfortunately they no longer seem to be available. As a substitute fix, an off the shelf standard ¼” 6 Point Hex Socket X ¼” drive will get the job done. You may already have what is needed in your tool box but any brand socket will do. Just make the bore for the socket a press fit. The drive bits are readily available.

Phillip, I can't tell from your drawing how the 1/4" adapter (part 109) is supposed to fit in what looks like a 0.200" diameter hole in the arbor. It's hex 1/4" drive adapter, which is 1/4" on the flats and larger at the points. My assumption is you added it to help prevent the press fit socket from turning?

Just came across your design for this lantern chuck. I t occurs to me that a version using small hex sockets as the screw/bolt positive driver would be useful for shortening hex bolts. Perhaps using sockets with a dead stop insert to provide the push against the collet/lantern.

Profkanz,

If I am understanding you correctly your inquiry is, can a hex shaped socket be utilized to modify hex head bolts? The answer is yes.
What I used were sockets from a kit of various hex shank driver bits. Don’t recall just where I bought them, they are probably 30 years
old.

Using standard ¼ sq. drive sockets would I believe take up too much room for this device to work properly.

I have some photo’s which may explain things better, for some reason they will not load properly.
If you want copies of them you can email me @ philipe.shelton@q.com.

Phil

Back