Lantern tool for shaper

I built one a while back Tim. Rather than clamping the bar as Armstrong did mine is cut down and a nut pulls it up tight from the back. I've made a couple of bars now, smaller to fit smaller bores. Rather than file out the square hole for the cutter I made it elongated and use collars to cover the radiused ends.
View attachment 318639

View attachment 318640

Greg
I remember seeing this several years ago and somehow the collar solution didn't sink in. That totally solves that problem so you don't have to cut a square hole for the HSS cutter. Love it!

Yep C-bag, a collar is such a brilliantly simple answer to a complicated problem of square holes. I like it too.

PS Greg....you really nailed it with the collars. I’m going to try to remember that idea. It really shines for square hss tooling.
And I totally get bringing the pup with you everywhere. My pups have been riding shotgun with me for 30 plus years. First was “Radar”....he lived till 14 y/o...and then Java just passed at 16 y/o.
My new one, “ Banshee “ is a total scaredy-cat. I don’t know what’s wrong with her. Maybe she just needs more confidence so I’m working on that with her. And Java and Radar were both bottle fed rescue’s.
So that may be part of it but they were naturals riding shotgun and in the car. This poor baby I have now is so scared of everything. She was trembling last week when the garbage truck was outside at 6:00 am. So this morning we went out again to watch it go by. She was pretty good today. Not cowering behind me like last week.

anyway....she’s my 70# 6-month old baby scaredy-cat....and we’re working on building her confidence. But she is work.

Last edited:
Back