Lantern tool post for 10" jet lath

barkeep13

Registered
Registered
New to this
looking for a lantern tool post for a 1024 jet lathe
what other makes will work with this lathe? Also what size would it be as i do not have one with this lathe
thanks

Sometimes a lantern too post is better than a QC, if the bulk of the QC gets in the way of what you are trying to do (clearance).

i have an index able tool post on it now seems to be too tall to use a 1/2" cut off tool and other tool holders i have with it. in Not sure if this came on it.

When I first got my little Atlas/Craftsman 6" It came with a lantern post , I thought that I wanted to keep it original and vintage looking as possible . Quickly that turned out to be a real time consuming frustration . You have a jet 1024 , that is a very nice lathe . I would assume you are more into making parts , then vintage . I would say keep the 4 way post , forget about the lantern and get a QCTP (quick change tool post) Here is a good example , although this one I think is too small for your lathe , but you get the picture . Good Luck !
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4083&category=-419988835

I have both 4 way and QCTP for my 13x40 lathe. If I ever find a complete lantern tool post to fit it for cheap I will buy it. They have their issues but will occasionally get in to tight spots that the others won't get close to without a mile of stickout.

most anything works for my skill level of machining. i can make bushings and shafts needed for a build in a motorcycle nothing fancy at all. In fact more of a metal butcher than a machinist.

Back