Lantern Tool Post revisited

We run a mini-split in our bedroom in Michigan, they're pretty darn efficient. I do realize the emissions limitations, just thought you might have been far enough out not to be subject to them.

John

Wow!

Is there anyway those outfits could be shredded and blown into a wall?
At least then we would not have to see them!

That's visual assault.

-brino

Mickri, if the garage is already sheeted, you can blow insulation in and be done with it quickly and easily. Lowe's Depot sells blow insulation, and the chain equipment rental companies rent insulation blowers. It's laughably easy, but you'll need a helper to empty bags of fluff into the hopper as you fill the voids in the walls.

Or else you can dress up in true Squaw Valley fashion, surely available in surplus at your local Goodwill:
tumblr_n54zfxgfpk1sqrmyqo1_500.jpg

Going back to my days in "cool" climates, I would remind you (the poster of this) that "loud colors" are used for visibility in snow. Pink is a little "effeminate" for my taste, I would want bright red or "international" orange. In my case, an entire ship with a "fire engine red" hull working McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. A white hull in a snowy background is next to invisible. In "white out" conditions, the helicopter pilots couldn't see the ship.

As far as "blow in" insulation goes, I agree 120% with the idea. Do be concerned about warm weather conditions, some insulation is organic in nature and has insect problems. In the "far north", New Englandish, country, sawdust is a common insulation. I live south of the "termite line" so it is not practical here.

I'd like to get back on topic. I wonder how hard the body is. A file will barely scratch it. Anybody know if it is even machinable?

I'd like to get back on topic. I wonder how hard the body is. A file will barely scratch it. Anybody know if it is even machinable?
Test it with a file in an inconspicuous place. I would be surprised it is was very hard at all. Carbide will cut anything a file will bight on from what I have experienced.

If you're talking about your original it's probably heat treated. As long as you're experimenting why not get some stressproof stock and start from scratch?

John

Yeah, the original tool post is going to be haaard. In the pre-war coal burning days, it was cheap to heat-treat. Heat was in excess, and coal provided a good atmosphere to do it.

I'd look for a drop or remnant on fleabay. Better yet, find an old truck axle, and turn a new one.

I believe my lathe was made in the 70's. The original owner was a local citrus farmer. He purchased a bunch of charts that were still in the original mailing tube that came with the lathe. The postmark is Nov. 7, 75. The body will shine with a file but the file won't cut it. I do have some carbide 60* tool bits. I am not going to go to the trouble of making a new body. I think that I will just make an adjusting nut similar to what Winky made.

I believe my lathe was made in the 70's. The original owner was a local citrus farmer. He purchased a bunch of charts that were still in the original mailing tube that came with the lathe. The postmark is Nov. 7, 75. The body will shine with a file but the file won't cut it. I do have some carbide 60* tool bits. I am not going to go to the trouble of making a new body. I think that I will just make an adjusting nut similar to what Winky made.
I'M Surprised they are so hard. I figured they would be tough, likely even forged. If the file won't cut it, I'd me hesitant to try to machine it. I have watched people shape HSS tool blanks with carbide endmills on YouTube but that's above my pay grade for sure...

Many hobby machinists share your problem, my case is somewhat different; there is over 200 tons of hay stored about 30 feet from my shop so any spark creating heating systems are out. Perhaps a duct system from your house attic to your garage may be somewhat of a solution. In any case more heat equals more dollars. I have extended my time in the shop in the winter through the Carhart Clothing Company and in the summer by a fan rigged so it can rotate to different areas is mounted in the ceiling. There is a huge difference in our cost of electricity, almost double. Obviously no help at all here.
Have a good day
Ray

Back