Lapping lathe ways?

harrzack

Harrzack
Registered
i have a LMS 3536 lathe I'd like to "tune up" a bit. I've seen You Tubes where some 500 grit in oil was brushed onto the ways, and the saddle slid back and forth to smooth/polish them.

Just wondering if this process would take off enough metal to screw up alignment. Maybe make one side higher than the other...or whatever...

Wouldn't think so, but just checking.

I'm chuckling after reading the comments and whatever may be on the videos the answer is still NO!

Most definitely! But I still would like to see the videos posted on YT to see what is going on, why the people decided to do so, & their "result". OP stated YT in plural so does that mean more than one video & more than one person attempting this? Might be some good entertainment. :)

a horrible horror film, not for the faint of spirit
to be likened to such horror classics as Red Asphalt, Waterworld, and Kazzam

That’s a terrible idea! That’s a good way to ruin your lathe! If you are new to running a lathe or at least the one you are mentioning. I would just run it, make some chips, have fun. And while you are using the lathe, you learn it’s capabilities and quirks, then “maybe” address those. But forget the lapping idea!

i have a LMS 3536 lathe I'd like to "tune up" a bit. I've seen You Tubes where some 500 grit in oil was brushed onto the ways, and the saddle slid back and forth to smooth/polish them................
The best thing you can do to make the ways look good as new is keep them wiped down and apply a good grade of machine oil to the ways. And continuous wiping them down and oiling daily will keep them nice shiney. My preference for oil on small lathes is a ISO 46 hydraulic oil, can be bought at any tractor supply in one gallon containers or many tool distributors offer Mobil brand of oils, too. I do not recommend way oils for small lathes, they can and will cause more wear than if using good old grade of hydraulic oil. This should apply to all lathes with harden beds and non-harden beds. Exception, the way oil. And I leave that for another discussion later. Ken

Back