Laptop recommendation

Oh, I missed that... I thought you already had 16Gig and asking if upgrading further... You currently have 8Gig of RAM.... yeah , memory is cheap... try that first.

What do you guys think about just upgrading the memory in my machine to 16 GB? Is that going to buy me anything worthwhile? I do know I can't upgrade to Windows 11 with my current setup. Maybe I should just forget the memory upgrade and keep looking for a laptop.

I'm plenty happy with the speed of this one for the most part. There are two thing it doesn't like, Google Earth and Fusion 360. It does work with Fusion 360 pretty good for a while, but I can tell right off that it is struggling as the fan starts running shortly after starting Fusion 360, then if I get a couple of drawings open before long it slows down.

If it were me I would upgrade the memory in your current laptop and do a fresh Windows 10 install. I personally have not seen anything in Windows 11 that is a huge improvement over Windows 10.

Memory upgrade it will be.... I'm going to keep shopping and learning about laptops so when I do upgrade I might, I say I might have it down.

Thanks for all the help everyone! It's much appreciated. I will report back when I upgrade the memory.

Tim

I hesitate to make any recommendation, my experience goes back to mainframes and super-minis, long before Microsoft was even a gleam in Gates' eye. I will admit, I would recommend against WinDoze 11 for the simple reason that it's too new. Stop at Ver 10 because there's so much knowledge floating around.

I personally prefer Toshiba (32 bit Ver XP), but currently use Dell(64 bit Ver 11). I ran an older version of AutoCAD, V2005. When 64 bit machines became the norm, and uSoft quit supporting XP, I had to update the ACAD version. Including the link above, I currently have 3 X 64 bit machines, all with duplicated 750 Gig drives and enough memory to keep up with my no longer so fast operation.

The above link is my recommendation, they can custom build refurb machines. Simply get three or four the same and duplicate the drives. Actual brand preference is a matter of personal taste as much as one machine better than another.

Memory upgrade it will be.... I'm going to keep shopping and learning about laptops so when I do upgrade I might, I say I might have it down.

Thanks for all the help everyone! It's much appreciated. I will report back when I upgrade the memory.

Tim
As you discovered, the processing power of CPUs has actually hit a plateau for the last 10 years as chip makers make more power-friendly designs and approach the necessary transistor downsize to make the next leap in technology. In other words, a top-tier chip from a decade past will hold its own just fine in a horsepower competition against a new chip. There have been improvements in the memory bus and in the PCI bus that affect heavy software use, but when it comes to whether the newest graphics chip will actually help Fusion360... I'm not convinced. You can use anything, but a OpenGL video card will run CAD better than a gaming card. nVidia has OpenGL covered on laptops. Heck, I ran SolidWorks on a dying old dual-core Dell 15" with a professional series OpenGL card, and there was no file big enough to slow that system.

My recommendation: Any upper end i7, as much RAM as you can stuff, OpenGL discrete graphics, and a SSD. I've found older high-end stuff to continue to work well for many years, so long as it is suitable for its intended purpose. Used corporate laptops are a good source of OpenGL VGA.

Thanks again for everyone's response to my question about a new laptop.

I received the 16 GB of memory today and I can see a big difference already. When I looked at Task Manager before changing the memory the column under Memory was running at 77%. After changing the memory with the same things open it is at 38% which make since with twice the memory.

Anyway, this old laptop might last a little longer now.

This is what I recently purchased, I don't game, pretty much just F360. It came as a recommendation from an article from Practical Machinist. I'm happy. There are many options, but the RTX graphic card (ray tracing) is really the heart of the setup for graphics. Just a suggestion, but easily out preforms what I need.
Asus ROG

Back