Large Epoxy Granite Vmc Project

I made some progress after work and it isn't really that bad. Did this in a half an hour:

The mix is downright tenacious and just as tough. I struck the bottom of the base with a sledge and it just bounced off without damage.

Final shot of the mix with the tenax chopped carbon fiber I added just before the pour:

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

I was able to rent a giant hoist for cheap and flipped the base and went to work removing the mold material. I even managed to alarm the wife dangling a 700 lb block over our driveway :p

I was really concerned whether all the work to use ground steel plates and pre-drill the mounting holes for the rails would be messed up by the epoxy. Good news, rails bolted up on a test fit and without even trying, are only .024" off of alignment before even starting. This is a big deal to me because it is alot easier to mount things before you pour.

Couple of quick pics before I clean everything up this weekend.

I am so happy things fit and the alignment works. Hopefully it will start to make sense because up till now, everything has been upside down for casting purposes...

3 foot base for the linear rail:

Mill base with servo and ballscrew sub bases + rail mounts:

Test fit:

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Update:

I got everything de-molded and was able to test fit the linear rails. I was able to indicate them parallel to 5 decimal places and about 7 thousands variance on height so the ground steel inserts worked as a design element.

It was a real pain to remove all the molding material- a few moments spent with mold release would have saved hours- lessons learned. I am working on the x axis next but I will be busy with the day job for the next week...

Thanks for looking

What's the latest?

I have been swamped in the day job and getting ready to put the house up for sale so probably not much for a bit. Moving to Washington state and bigger shop on the horizon...

Gt40, Any new developments on the project?

The photos were hosted somewhere and since have been deleted.

Back