Large Epoxy Granite Vmc Project

Update:

I am back to work on this build following moving from CA to WA and setting up my shop. I also have been an instructor at the Bainbridge Barn- a 20000 square feet 11 studio non profit facility and have only recently got around to my personal stuff. The place is pretty awesome: Welcome to BARN (Bainbridge Artisan Resource Network) - BARN

I am nearly done with the base. It is ¼” thick 2” square tubing will have ¼” plate on the top and all sides. It is 23” by 44”. It seems pretty stout but I may cast epoxy granite into it to add mass as I am concerned the machine may move during rapids:

20180521_092344.jpg

Here is rough draft of the design so far. I am still working on the head and tool changer mounting:

complete machine v5.jpg
Over the past 2 years, I was able to purchase of all linear motion components for the machine. Even shopping for deals, this proved to be a significant investment with the large sizes being used:

THK SHS 35mm linear rails with 6 blocks for x axis 42"
NSK 35mm linear rails and blocks for y axis 36"
THK SHS 30mm linear rails and blocks for z axis 30"

Here is a pic. Keep in mind the base underneath is 44” long:

20180523_125449.jpg

For ballscrews, I went with giant 36-45mm ground ball screws from THK or PMI(new replacement for a HAAS) all around.

20180523_124815.jpg

Given the linear motion parts I ended up getting, the travels will be slightly different with the x axis being 25" in travel.

I was able to get a 300 lb scrap piece of steel for $100(!!!) to make the bearing blocks. It is 3" thick. Moving it and cutting was interesting!

cuttingsteel.jpg

20180525_120745.jpg

Here is the design for the bearing blocks. It matches the 4" holes with coupling nuts I cast in place on the mill's base. 4" x 5" x 3" thick:

bearing support v8.jpg

Angular contact bearing showed up while I was cutting. They are 3 bearing matched sets:

bearings1.jpg

bearings 2.jpg

I was able to partially finish the shear panels on the machine's sub-base and got the front and back one's welded on. Did a test fit of the base on the sub base and it is really solid. I am really happy with the height. By the time you add the saddle and table, It should be right. Hope to start work on the saddle mold next.

Here are a few pics of the test fit:
20180526_204417.jpg

20180526_204434.jpg

complete machine v4.jpg

Welcome back, good to see the project up and running again! Great job so far, please keep the updates coming.

Any updates?
Also, I have done fiberglass molding for RC airplanes and such. I use hairspray for a mold release. Cheapest stuff you can find, which in my case was "Hair Net" I think. The fiberglass pieces pop right out of the mold.

Back