Large Gerstner Cheset today at auction

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Went for $290
Draftsman??? I used a small one for my drafting equipment. But this one?

1583012333831.png

It is an odd collection halfway between a machinist and draftsman. Maybe the guy was liaison between engineering and the machine shop?

If those are drafting tools, I guess that I must be a draftsman, not a machinist!
Well it looks like there might be the pieces for a beam compass in the drawers that can serve dual-use either in the shop or on the table.
That's what I used for years. Small Starrett. Very tight and accurate.

I have boxes and boxes full of these exact tools from my uncle and his father . They came out of 1916 and 1937 Gerstners . I guess they used these for layout purposes back then . I find no purpose for the tools nowadays .

Edit . The 1916 is not a Gerstner box . I'll post a pic of it and hopefully someone can identify it .

Uncle and Great-Uncle going back to the 20th century teens?
Any idea where they worked at?
Can't wait to see picts of the boxes.
If you ever come across any beam compasses like these let me know.
Big Brother & Little Brother Starretts - so far... The little one I used for years when I was laying down graphite on vellum.
Beam-Compass_000.jpg
I have boxes and boxes full of these exact tools from my uncle and his father . They came out of 1916 and 1937 Gerstners . I guess they used these for layout purposes back then . I find no purpose for the tools nowadays .

Edit . The 1916 is not a Gerstner box . I'll post a pic of it and hopefully someone can identify it .

Dan , I have a couple of those , I've always known them as trammels . :big grin: My uncle's Dad had his own shop back in the early 1900s . My uncle was a machinist , worked at Crown Cork and Seal downtown Baltimore for 40 some years . He had a small shop also .

Back to those trammels , I have the round beam and also hexagon/octogon beam .

Dan , I have a couple of those , I've always known them as trammels . :big grin: My uncle's Dad had his own shop back in the early 1900s . My uncle was a machinist , worked at Crown Cork and Seal downtown Baltimore for 40 some years . He had a small shop also .

Back to those trammels , I have the round beam and also hexagon/octogon beam .
Yep, you're correct - they are trammels over on the metal working side of life.
The draftsman in me calls them beam compasses. The standard 'drafting' ones available back in the day, I thought were flimsy. Aluminum beams, plastic bodies.
When I came across the small Starrett at a swap meet, years ago, I grabbed it and re-purposed it for board use.
The gents in the tool room where I was working at the time made me up a set of round beams with flats one them.

Neighbor of mine has a box just like this. Same size and full of “drafting” tools. His dad was a machinist for NASA in the day. He wants to sell the empty box. Told me I could have anything in it I wanted. Haven’t gone thru it yet but it is really full. Says he wants $800 for the empty box. I think that might be a little high for the empty box. It does have a lot of nice patina on it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back