Large Gerstner Cheset today at auction

While in a junk store in N. Washington state I found 2/3 of one of the smaller trammel. The beam and one point along with an attachment with a very sharp Exacto style knife. I think it was for cutting picture frame mats. I modded it to do the marking on my welding layouts. But was always running out adjustment. Then a couple of years ago a guy was selling off a relatives machinist tools and there was a nice large trammel. He was wanting a lot for it and said it was Starrett be neither of us could find markings. I could tell it was a quality piece but talked him way down and when I got home and cleaned it up it was actually Brown & Sharpe. No case of course and until I saw yours middle road never seen a case. Thing I love about the B&S is the lead from my Steadler pencil fits where the points do. Except for the funky upper original I got in the junk store I paid $20 for the rest in the pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 138
While in a junk store in N. Washington state I found 2/3 of one of the smaller trammel. The beam and one point along with an attachment with a very sharp Exacto style knife. I think it was for cutting picture frame mats. I modded it to do the marking on my welding layouts. But was always running out adjustment. Then a couple of years ago a guy was selling off a relatives machinist tools and there was a nice large trammel. He was wanting a lot for it and said it was Starrett be neither of us could find markings. I could tell it was a quality piece but talked him way down and when I got home and cleaned it up it was actually Brown & Sharpe. No case of course and until I saw yours middle road never seen a case. Thing I love about the B&S is the lead from my Steadler pencil fits where the points do. Except for the funky upper original I got in the junk store I paid $20 for the rest in the pic.
That 'beam' laying under the thread gage is just plain cool. Love the ends.

That's the small beam that goes with the B&S. The long one has the same ends. Funny, I thought they were all like that.

Back