Nice lathe doc and the perfect size :encourage: I sold my CA Aloris set some time back , and can't remember to whom . I think the guy worked at a train restoration place in Oregon . I still am finding plenty of large HSS and carbide tools for the larger lathes though . ( if you ever feel that CA is a little small , I have an Aloris DA set sitting down the basement ) :grin:

Welcome to the CA club! Even the cheap tool holders are $35, and all your tooling is about 10x the price. You're fortunate that you got one with a D1-6/MT4 spindle, that has a high availability at least. I ended with a L-1/Jarno-15 which is... difficult.

I was shocked when i found a BXA holder in my drawer and compared it to the CA on mine! I'm a bit smaller of a lathe (16"), but same tool holders. One thing I did with my big lathe (since I'm limited to ~1000 RPM) is switch to HSS, which required learning to grind. I haven't used the surface grinder yet (just a bench grinder), but its definitely a MUCH bigger deal to grind in a 7/8" block than a 3/8"! I actually end up using 3/8" HSS the most because of this.

I was shocked when i found a BXA holder in my drawer and compared it to the CA on mine! I'm a bit smaller of a lathe (16"), but same tool holders.

I finally made the switch from BXA to CXA on my 14" Logan lathe, meaning the CXA is always on the compound and the BXA is swapped in when quarters are tight or when I need a tool that's in one of the many BXA toolholders. Huge difference in mass. The carbide insert tools are now all in CXA holders.

i was able to snap a few pictures,

the first picture is the 10° grind on a 3/8 HSS blank taking a .020" cut on some unknownium
the surface finish is very good from my Shenwai 1236
IMG_4012.jpg

here is the very same geometry,
up-scaled to the 7/8" HSS tool, taking a .125" cut on the same piece of unknownium

the surface finish is consistent with the smaller tool, even though the doc is greater, and on another larger lathe, the Victor 2040

IMG_4013.jpg

i got some beautiful chips too!

IMG_4014.jpg IMG_4015.jpg

the 10° tool is pretty sweet,
but there are more to come!

@Ulma Doctor I'm just entering the same 'big-bit- world. I'm getting a 1" sq cobalt bit from a friend... to see how well it does!

Nice lathe doc and the perfect size :encourage: I sold my CA Aloris set some time back , and can't remember to whom . I think the guy worked at a train restoration place in Oregon . I still am finding plenty of large HSS and carbide tools for the larger lathes though . ( if you ever feel that CA is a little small , I have an Aloris DA set sitting down the basement ) :grin:

what ya got? How much?

Back