Large Inserts, Shop Made Boring Bars, Armstrong Cutoff For Trade/Free

Weldo

Registered
Registered
Hey all. I found some random stuff around the workshop that I can't use for my small lathe.

Here's some inserts that are too big for my equipment...

10pcs TPMG. About 3/4" long sides. A 0.205" drill fits through the hole.

EM520219.JPGEM520220.JPG

5pcs. These are weird ones. Never seen one like it. Two sides are square and one has a heavy relief. No chip breakers on either side. About 1-3/16" long sides. Special purpose maybe?

EM520224.JPG

EM520227.JPG

5pcs. Square insert. Chip breaker is only on one side. 3/4" square, 5/16" hole.

EM520230.JPG

Shop made boring bars. O.D. of each is around 13/16". The short one has a maybe 10 degree lead angle on the hole, the long one is straight thru. The post on the end of the long one seems unrelated to the boring function, maybe it was an arbor for something?

EM520234.JPG

EM520236.JPG

Old Armstrong cutoff holder, too big for my lathe. 1-1/4" tall, 1/2" thick.

EM520232.JPG

I don't know if this stuff is worth anything but I figure I'd offer it here before scrapping it. It might be fun to do some trading but ultimately if you want/need any of this stuff just pay shipping and I'll send it to you!

The items, pic 3 & 4 with a single angle 'rake' not an insert. It's a chipbreaker, held down by a finger clamp on tool holder.
Most [all?] of those have screw or cam holding the actual insert. Not hugely popular, but it's somewhat adjustable because the finger, covers the hole nicely, and might be the spacer on certain holders holding the insert down.

Of the boring bars, the shorter, I can't imagine anything not being able to hold that except for the smallest machine. You can cut in half, turn one end and hold in a boring head.......V-block tool holder........mill flats for a regular tool holder........if flatting; figure lathe centerline and mill top or bottom first to set up with out shimming......build a castle boring bar holder and use as is.........
The other might not be a conventional boring bar. It may have been a spot face or trepan, and the pilot ran in a hole or bushing. Either way it was likely shop made, has no 'commercial' about it. It has life in it just as described above.

Back