Laser scanner to CAD model

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have access to a super accurate laser scanner. It creates a 3D point cloud that is the surface of the part.

Right now I am clueless on how to proceed. Below, is an import of an .stl file into Fusion 360. can't seem to do anything in terms of converting to something else. Do not know if this is even the right software to use.

can somebody point me to tutorials or??? on how to make models out of laser scanned parts.

Capture.JPG

Most programs are kind of crap for editing stl. They aren't really a model, closer to the point cloud you started with. If you can find something that can generate a STEP file, Fusion360 would work better with it.

Something like Blender or Meshmixer might be able to work with it. Going to a CAD format might be tricky.

I've been surfing the web for other solutions and came across autodesk Recap. I think students can use it for free, just like fusion 360. Here's a kindle book on it. Anyone tried it?

Again, I know sh*t about laser scanning to models. Just have access to a high dollar laser canner and it seems better than my caliper and mike method of retro engineering parts.

I've been surfing the web for other solutions and came across autodesk Recap. I think students can use it for free, just like fusion 360. Here's a kindle book on it. Anyone tried it?

Again, I know sh*t about laser scanning to models. Just have access to a high dollar laser canner and it seems better than my caliper and mike method of retro engineering parts.
This sounds so cool. Why is all the neat 3D stuff coming around now that I'm out of it after battling dinosaurs for so many years?
Trimble as a nice 'how they did it' project -=-Here-=-
Formlabs has a procedure in place for doing up dentures from a cast mold.
I've got casts of how my mouth was originally over the years, but can't find a dentist around here utilizing 3D technology yet.

Quick search -=-Results-=- and there's so much I don't know where to begin.
This technology would be so cool to learn and develop and use.

Something like Blender or Meshmixer might be able to work with it. Going to a CAD format might be tricky.

I see meshmixer is another Autodesk product

Blender looks to be an open source selection that is a jack of all trades for 3D mesh work.

Back