Last priority item on my SB 13 To-Do list done!

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've got a few more items on my new to me South Bend 13" lathe to-do list, but I just finished up the last one that is a priority above some of my other projects I've got to do.

I just finished a spindle thread protector. The previous owner used a ram rod to remove the spindle collet adapter, but I didn't like the idea of using this. I have a thread protector that came with my SB 15" and copied that, although the thread is 2-1/4" 6 on that one not the more common 2-1/4" 8 like the 13" has.

Now, to switch to a different to-do list, but which one??? Probably now that we've got some nice weather it will be the outside honey do list!

Ted

SB-13 Thread Protector.jpg

Oh man, that's beautiful. I have a 13 single gear box. I just ordered a ER40 collet set-up with collets so I (with help), can make an adapter to mount it to my 1 7/8 8 TPI spindle.
Good job.
How did you mill the grooves? Rotary table? Head? They are perfect.

Are you making a pin spanner to remove the new protector?

Oh man, that's beautiful. I have a 13 single gear box. I just ordered a ER40 collet set-up with collets so I (with help), can make an adapter to mount it to my 1 7/8 8 TPI spindle.
Good job.
How did you mill the grooves? Rotary table? Head? They are perfect.

Thanks. I used an indexer I have because it has the same spindle as my lathe and I just screwed it on! Nice, easy setup. It's only part way threaded on in this picture for illustration.

Ted

Indexer 24.jpg

Are you making a pin spanner to remove the new protector?

Already have one. I bought a nice Williams a while back for my SB 15" and since this one is the same size it fits perfectly. The previous owner(s) of my 15" had done a nice job of pounding on the hole though, so I'm living with that one. Not really worth making a new one for what it does... It functions fine.

I did have to make one for the 5C collet square and hex blocks I bought though since none of the ones I had already fit them...

Oh, and I have a confession to make. I lied. It was raining today so I started to make a threading stop for my 13" as well! :) I'll work it in when I can.

Ted

Williams Spanner Wrench.jpg

There is definitely satisfaction to be had from tying up these loose ends on our machinery; I am contemplating making a thread stop on the cross slide on my 19" Regal LeBlond, only problem is that on this particular machine, the tapped hole in the face of the cross slide was tapped on an angle, matching the angle of the gibbed side instead of the side that is in line with the center line of the cross slide; that means that I have to take it all apart to deal with re tapping the hole in an accurate manner. I had two 19" Regals in my shop, the other one was done correctly, the one that I still have is a War Baby, 1943, I guess getting good help then was a problem-----

It seems my first few projects have to do with making tools for my tools.
I plan on making Mr. Pete's QCTP mounted dial indicator holder. A carriage stop. A ER40 chuck with a through hole capability. (will need Bob Korves help on that one). And some Bridgeport fixes and gadgets.
That's a beautiful Lathe Ted. That should be in a centerfold :)

Back