Latest knife, finished today

true artist Mr D. by the way; where ya been lately?????

IDEA? I assume your guys at work have Dept. issued buck knifes. So why not do some of your magic on them. I'm sure the Chief
will OK it, or make the Chief the first one, then he will OK it.. I know back in the day when I had a real job, those days we carried .357's
I machined a bunch of brass ovals, and epoxied our state/ town seal on em, to be epoxied to the butt end of the guns grips (most then were wood grips) It looked like a class act. but I did it for zip- of course on town time (at night I worked 4-mid)..dont worry, my Chief was with
me, he also was and still is a machinst, we were old high school buddies anyways..... good work Dwayne

sam

Last edited:
Great looking knife Dwayne! I like everything about it.

Craig

Amazing work Dwayne, my wife even took a second look and said wow when she noticed it!

Dwayne
That is excellent work you do. I admire your knife making skills, very nice .
I just have to ask, if you were making that for a paying customer, what would it cost?

Outstanding Job

Thank you all for your kind comments, I haven't done a lot of engraving but doing more as time goes by, it's something I've always wanted to learn, I've been making knives for along time, still trying to get better & faster at it, seems to me that I'm getting slower all the time. The knife pictured would sell for around $1400.00, I got two orders for some earlier today from a lady here in town, she's not getting them by Christmas, got another order for one less involved, I usually get $350-375 for work model, & add for add ons on top of that, ivory, Damascus, engraving and so on. I can build a work model in 12-15 hrs, these take considerably longer. At $1400 for the one above, I'm making more at the Sheriff's office. But I'll get faster, Thanks again for all the kind words, I'm always amazed at the stuff I see on this forum, I know all of you could build these if you had the tools & time. I better get back out in the shop, I have one more I'm trying to finish for Christmas.

Beautiful work Dwayne - actually outstanding! I think that $1400 is not out of line for that quality if work.
Michael

I hate to admit it but as slow as I am my wages come out less than $15.00 per hr, when you call a plumber around here, your looking at $75.00 per hr, or an electrician, or mechanic about the same or more. Now I'm not complaining about what they charge, they deserve their wages, but what I will say is that from what I've seen with all three occupations mentioned, or at least for those that have come to my rescue is that I have way more tools in my shop than they bring to my place or have at their shops, I have as many hrs training at different schools & classes on the knives & as these other guys do in their fields, So all that being said, I'm trying to get my wages up to about 35-40 per hr at least, not there yet but will get there. Now I will donate to causes if led by the Lord to do so, but this is where I'm at on charging. How about you guys and the way you charge out a project in your shop. On the knife above, I have probably 20 hrs in the engraving alone, artwork & cutting. Just some thoughts, Thanks again for all yalls kind words & comments

Dwayne

Hi, Dwayne,

If I may, can I ask what you're using for the black coloring in the engraving on the stainless? Do you possibly have any resources on how to begin to learn this art?

Thanks for sharing as you're very inspiring.
Dave

your work definitely calls for the higher wage, good luck in the future.

Back