Latest project: A Tangential Toolholder for a QCTP

jgedde

Active User
Registered
I was wondering whether the hype over the Diamond toolholder was justified. After reading writeup on gadgetbuilder.com about such a toolholder, I decided to make one. The first prototype take was closely based on the design given at gadgetbuilder and made from aluminum. It worked phenomenally. I get near mirror finishes on a wide variety of materials from brass and aluminum to SS and plain steel. On plain steel, the turning gives a satisfying hiss sound and gives a surface that rivals grinding.

So, given that it worked so well I decided to make some minor improvements and make a new one out of steel. Also, I made up a set of plans.

Check it out and make one. You'll be pleased for sure...

Here are the plans: drawing.pdf

And here are some pictures:

IMG_1378.JPGIMG_1379.JPGIMG_1380.JPG

John

IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1380.JPG

thank you for the nice plans john
I have wanted one of these
I'll build one
steve

Nice Job;)

I don't want the plans though...I just want to buy one!

Nice, solid design. I saved the plans for when I get the mill up and running (and learn how to use it :eek:).

Thanks John,

-Ron

looks great. might just try one myself. thanks for posting this!

Re: Latest project: A Tangential Toolholder for a QCTP -VIDEO!

Here's a video of the toolholder in action: [video=youtube;vUrdnWTvln0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUrdnWTvln0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

A roughing cut, a finigh cut and a facing operation. There's a closeup photo of the surface finish at the end...

John

Your tool holder looks great:

Taken from your posting QUOTE"

Check it out and make one. You'll be pleased for sure...

Here are the plans: drawing.pdf

And here are some pictures:

End QUOTE"

Your drawing and pictures show only the tool holder. Did you also make the main tool post? Do you have pictures and drawings of the main post / body.. Or does someone else out there have drawings and pictures of one they have built.

Thanks.

looks phenomenal both in operation as well as design!!!
:man:
mike:))

I was wondering whether the hype over the Diamond toolholder was justified. After reading writeup on gadgetbuilder.com about such a toolholder, I decided to make one. The first prototype take was closely based on the design given at gadgetbuilder and made from aluminum...

John

Are you also using gadgetbuilder's method for grinding the toolbit? NEVER MIND...... looked at your drawing again and answered my own question!

Last edited:
Back