Lathe advice - SB Model A

Well, false alarm, he sold it yesterday

Had a ton of random nonsense tooling and a few chucks, looked pretty dang clean and it was $1800

Well, false alarm, he sold it yesterday

Had a ton of random nonsense tooling and a few chucks, looked pretty dang clean and it was $1800
I bought a Clausing 4900 and I really like
It . 10" swing 36" Center to Center
I think it might be mid 1970s
I need to find a taper attachment & a follow rest for
It

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5738.JPG

Last edited:
My only contribution to the already excellent advice above is to realize you're buying old iron- and all the problems that come with it. The SB 9 lathe didn't have hardened ways, so most likely you're going to get wear (perhaps significant) in the ways. Parts are pretty available on ebay, and the rebuild *IS* a fun, rewarding experience. But like most things that are 70+ years old, you're going to have some age/wear problems with it that you need to be OK with.

I have no regrets in purchasing/restoring my SB 9a, but certainly I learned a lot of lessons in doing so. I'll have a better eye on things for my next purchase.

I'm on my 6th Southbend lathe. The last one I got I think is an A model.
How can you tell what model you have. I have the buyers Bill of sale but
I still don't know...

Bill of sale.jpg

I think the model "A" has a quick change gear box and power longitudinal and cross feeds. The model "B" has the power feeds but uses change gears instead of the quick change box. The model "C" has power on the longitudinal feed but not on the cross feed and uses the change gears.

Back