Lathe and mill on the way, now what

Mills and lathes and drill chucks. We, the machinists here, do not use drill chucks because of their accuracy. Drill your hole undersize, bore or ream to finish size, or bore then ream to finish size.

I use the PM rigid base 3 in vise on my 728. I had to make custom keys. It dials in nicely. I use a 3/8 collet almost exclusively. 1/2 is pretty much the limit of the 728 because of vibration. The 932 can probably go 5/8. I wouldn't buy a collet set. Just buy individuals what you need. My frequently used tools are: 3/8 collet, 3/8 end mill, drill chuck, center drill, drill index, edge finder, live center, v-block set, bench grinder for hss lathe tools. I'm mixing mill and lathe, sorry. I make some of my own tooling, especially for the lathe. I made a boring bar, hss bit holder, small tap holder, and small die holder. I'm building my own design model steam engine so that keeps me focused on what to learn as I proceed through the project. I avoid buying stuff before I need it. It's expensive and takes up space. I'm finding that a handful of items get the job done. If not, I try to make tools.

Well I changed my order from the 932v to the 940v. I just didnt want to limit myself on working size and I liked the hardened table/way option that is only available on the 940. Not sure why it couldn't be optioned on any of the mills but I guess theres just limited capacity. PM actually said on the phone they pretty much dont even get 940s without the hardway option because the demand is so low.

So I think an epoxy/granite fill on the column/base will be in order. Then play with it in manual mode while I figure out all the components I need/want for the CNC conversion later in the year.

I guess this means now I'm into 6" vice territory. Still have to decide on one of those as well as lathe tooling. I got Daves book on insert tooling. Need to finish that so I can figure out which ones to order for a starting set.

Back