Lathe and mill on the way, now what

Since collets seem to be a topic of interest here, I though I'd chime in. I've updated by paper on R8, ER, and 5C collets which is attached for those who are interested. And I agree with the sentiments above that the Techniks ER collets are superior and good value for such a high quality product. This is the set I have.

Attachments

• About R8 ER and 5C Collets.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 286
yea
Dang, jumping into this hobby full bore.
Ha yea well I come from a car guy/fix everything myself background. Taught myself to mig and tig weld a few years ago. I had the opportunity to get into machining for a guy I met out of college half a lifetime ago but didn't go for it and always regretted it.

Anyway it's been like a thorn in my side that I know how to rebuild engines, do composite work, weld, yet have no ability to machine apart from a drill press, band saw and a tap and die set lol. I literally turned down a piece of delrin recently by tapping in a machine screw, chukking it into my power drill, and holding a piece of sand paper on it while wearing a glove... trust me I need this lathe

I had the money for some machines right when corona hit but then couldnt let myself drop so much cash with the way the economy was going. Now with the prices starting to spike I think of it more like saving money to get it all now instead of waiting any longer and prices going up another few grand.

We didn't. You recommend Tap-Magic. I recommend Boelube. ;)
Curious if you use Boelube just for tapping, or in an MQL system, or if you're using it as a flood coolant. I use a variety of coolant products depending on the stituation, but my system is MQL, so I prefer a coolant that is specifically designed for MQL such as the Unist Coolube 2210XP for steels or denatured alcohol for aluminum as described in the attached.

Attachments

• Coolant Systems for Mill and Lathe.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
This is awesome David. Hyperlinks for everything. Your trying to help me spend my money aren't you!
Well, that's one way to look at it. But frankly, my intent is to help you (and others) avoid buying junk tools (like I did) that you end up tossing only to buy better quality replacements. To be sure, there are less expensive versions of just about everything on my list, but quality varies a lot. What you need for tooling has a lot to do with the kind of projects you plan to tackle. Sing out here if you're confused - advice is cheap. :)

Well, that's one way to look at it. But frankly, my intent is to help you (and others) avoid buying junk tools (like I did) that you end up tossing only to buy better quality replacements. To be sure, there are less expensive versions of just about everything on my list, but quality varies a lot. What you need for tooling has a lot to do with the kind of projects you plan to tackle. Sing out here if you're confused - advice is cheap. :)
My dad always taught me to buy the best. Cry once he said....

Since collets seem to be a topic of interest here, I though I'd chime in. I've updated by paper on R8, ER, and 5C collets which is attached for those who are interested. And I agree with the sentiments above that the Techniks ER collets are superior and good value for such a high quality product. This is the set I have.

Is the grip range of ER40 collets such that the metric set you linked also covers imperial sizes?

Is the grip range of ER40 collets such that the metric set you linked also covers imperial sizes?
One follow-up. If your intent is to primarily use the ER collet chuck to hold imperial sized end mills and such in the mill spindle, you would be better off with an imperial set of collets such as this Techniks set. If you're doing a mixture of holding imperial-sized tooling and random sized (non-nominal) parts on the lathe, then I would recommend the metric set I linked to above (which covers 4-26mm inclusive), PLUS a few individual imperial sized collets specifc to your tools (like 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, etc for end mills and straight shanked tools). I own the metric set, a handful of 1/2mm sized metric collets for use on the lathe, and four individual imperial collets for tool holding tooling in the mill spindle. Hope this clarifies.

Last edited:
Back