Lathe and or mill for making yoyos

bcarter

Registered
Registered
This is my first post. I'm impressed by the amount of knowledge on access. Thanks to all who contribute.

I recently started yoyoing at age 55 and am quite taken with modern yoyos. They've changed a great deal since the Duncan Butterfly I had as a kid. I'd like to try some designs of my own and want to buy the proper machines to get started. These would be prototypes not production runs. The two images below are typical of the things I'd be working on. Materials are plastics, aluminum, brass and stainless. The silver rings in the lower photo are steel added near the rim to increase the rim weight. Outside diameter ranges from 1-1/8" to 2-1/2". The width of individual halves would be from 1/2" to 1-1/4". The two halves are joined by a threaded axel and a ball bearing is seated between the halves.

My questions are about what machines to acquire. Lathe: micro (Sherline? Taig?), mini (LMS or other?), benchtop (PM or other) or vintage American iron (SB or other?).
If a micro lathe is up to the task that would be fine. If it turns out I find tons of other applications and need a bigger machine I can get that down the road. If I'm going to be frustrated with the process or results because a micro is under equipped in power or rigidity I'd rather buy bigger up front. I've got floor space but I don't want a large machine taking up space if a quality small machine is good for this application. Most of times I've wished for a lathe and or mill in recent years have been for similar sized operations for anything from model planes and trains to my long board skateboards.

Any suggestions on whether or not I should also get a mill at the start and if so specific recommendations are very welcome.

Another general question. Are quality smaller tools better suited than a larger tool for small projects? I could imagine a point where the bulk of the machine would be a deterrent when making small parts. I assume jewelers lathes came about for a reason.

Thanks in advance for your patience with the questions and for any guidance.

Take care,

Brent

Ministar-01.jpg

Yoyo.jpg

Ministar-01.jpg

I've never used micro or mini machines. I can tell you that my bench top lathe (PM1127) hasn't turned anything over 2" diameter yet. I haven't had any issues with small parts. I could see it happening with really tiny stuff, but I wouldn't hesitate to make something the size of a yo-yo.

Most mini machines seem to be more kits that you almost have to expect to work on for the low end. LMS gets good reviews for mini machines. Sherline seems popular with the micro guys.

Welcome Brent.

Those are lovely looking yoyos indeed. I have an Atlas 618 that I think would work very well for making those parts. I repair old clocks and my lathe handles small parts just fine. A number of folks use the Sherline lathe for clock / watch type work, but I think it may be a bit too small for what you are trying to do. Now there are folks here that are very familiar with the Sherline machines and will probably pitch in.

From what I can see the lathe would be more useful than a mill at this point...at least until you really get hooked on hobby machining :).

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and your progress.

David

Hi Brent- making a "bowl" shaped part will be challenging on any machine without some special tooling
You are really talking about a CNC type machine
Mark

I agree with Mark, to make the shapes that you show would be easier on a CNC lathe. Not impossible to do on a manual machine, but difficult at best.

I would think something in the 12 to 14 inch swing range would be about right. That will give you a nice stable platform to work from. For your application I would want a manual/CNC machine. They do exist, also converting a standard toolroom lathe to CNC is not that difficult if you want a project. So now it's just a question of budget. :)

You will find more uses than you ever imagined when you have a piece of machinery. One of the nice things about the smaller stuff is that there is always someone to take it off your hands when you outgrow it (I OTOH have the luxury of enough real estate to keep them-LOL)

As you're just getting in, Imsuggest buying new so you're not tied up making an old machine work so you can concentrate on learning new skills and improving your skills. There will always be time for more, bigger/smaller new/used machinery.
Good luck and welcome to the cult of home machinists

And I suggest beginning with a lathe and getting the mill later, just don't wait as long as I did

Thanks for the replies. I knew the shapes would be a bit challenging, my hope was that I could accomplish something with a manual lathe and creative use of tracing attachments. There is a certain amount of pleasure in the manual process. Ask me about my Curta calculator.

I shouldn't leave the impression that I don't have any fabrication experience, just very little time on purpose built metal working machines. I make a lot of stuff from my own bikes and skateboards to hand laid Z scale double slip switches.

The biggest surprise was the suggestion to go with 12-14" swing, my uninformed idea being the PM1127 was at the top of the size range for this style of project. This is why you seek advice from people with experience. Anyone want to buy a $4000 yoyo (or two) to offset my start up costs? ;-)

Does anyone want to venture a specific recommendation for a lathe manual or CNC?

If I should be considering CNC I haven't looked at those machines at all. I'm not opposed I just don't know where to begin. Then there is the lack of experience with CAD and CNC to overcome, but I like learning.

Thanks again to all.

Brent

I'm not sure why you would need a larger, more rigid machine for what you are wanting to do. Perhaps someone can elaborate on the reasons for that recommendation? I know people here really like that size range, and there are a number of advantages, but I don't see much reason for it for a yo-yo.

Some of the shapes would be harder on a manual machine, but I think it's possible.

I've been working with a 6" Atlas/Clausing lathe, it's a little light for a yo yo. I've been looking at PM's 10-22 lathe, it has a lot that my Atlas doesn't have as far as capacity and use is concerned. I don't know if it's enough lighter than the 1127 to make a difference.

Welcome to HM, Brent.

I wanted to add some perspective, just for some flavor.

I can make half your Yo-yo on my Sherline manual lathe by using a graver. No problem, I can make it as complicated and curvy as you like. What I cannot do on that machine is make the other half exactly the same; for that, you need CNC. If you are willing to go down that CNC road then there are machines that come already set up and are ready to go. All you need is money and the willingness to do CAD and programming. If making Yo-yo's is something you plan to go into business to make or if that will be your main focus then I think a CNC lathe is the only way to go.

On the other hand, if what you really need a lathe for is smaller parts then that opens up another can of worms. Nobody has really addressed your question: Are quality smaller tools better suited than a larger tool for small projects? In a word, and in my opinion, YES.

I am a confessed Sherline user and am biased toward them because I know exactly what those machines can do. I have about 30 years on their lathe and mill now so my comments are actually user-comments. You will find that the attitude on this forum, and most other forums, is that you can make small parts on a big lathe but you cannot make big parts on a small lathe; it is true, too. However, it is also true that it is easier, faster and more precise to make small parts on a small precision lathe. This is why watch makers use small lathes instead of a 14X40. I own a very good 11" lathe but I often prefer to use my Sherline lathe to make smaller parts. Why? Because it is simpler, faster, more precise and I can pick up the lathe and put it away when I'm done.

So, the decision point revolves around what you intend to use the machine for most of the time. If you want to make Yo-yo's, then go with a CNC lathe. If your needs are more general and you plan to work on the smaller end of the spectrum then look at all the options. The real problem is finding a high quality precision lathe intended for small part work. Within this very restricted category, Sherline is probably the best bet.

Back