Lathe and or mill for making yoyos

Sub spindle would save much time, pick up the front and part off then finish the backwork without stopping.

I imagine that many will not have such luxury.

Many who started out with the 7xN (n = 10, 12, 14 or 16") Chinese lathes have moved on to 8" machines. The build quality is reported to be much better. The Grizzly 8x16 currently is running a bit over $1K, not including shipping. The Little Machine Shop 8.5 x 20 runs about $1900. Instead of spending a whole lot of money on a larger lathe you might be able to buy one of these and upgrade it to CNC. Of course, this approach requires some considerable DIY work and would be a project in itself.

I thought I would post an update. I found a Sherline 4400 used nearby. It has worked out very well for me. I'm only making wood yoyos so far but I can see how I could do aluminum yoyos at least for my own use on it. This is a perfect starting point for me. Here is a maple axle I'm threading to 3/8-16 for one of my yoyos. I'm very pleased with the Sherline's capabilities and ease of use.
20180530_204945_zpsqmrceshy.jpg

Here is the most recent yoyo I've made on the Sherline.
IMG_20180526_165840_112_zpsp7rohiyn.jpg

Nice threading! Took me a bit to get my head around how big (or small) the piece was but it looks great.
Is that yo yo made from wenge? If so you are a better man than I -- I've only turned that stuff once and hated every minute of it.

Glad you got a lathe sorted out, happy turning!

-frank

Hi Brent!

Welcome to the site.

I recently started yoyoing at age 55 and am quite taken with modern yoyos.
I am glad to see you are NOT acting your age! :)

Ask me about my Curta calculator.
By the way, do you have any pictures you could share of your Curta Calculator?

Here is the most recent yoyo I've made on the Sherline.
Very nice, What wood is that? The grain contrast is great!

You seem to have made a great jump into lathe work.
Congratulations.

-brino

Frank,

Sorry about the closeup. It is only 3/8" diameter. I will be doing some 3/4" soon at 8TPI.

It is indeed Wenge. Give it another try. Turn it on your metal lathe. I used HSS and carbide tools with no problems at all. I did do some hand work using a toolrest and carbide insert wood turning tools. They are used mostly like scrapers so again no difficulty.

Brino,

Thanks for the kind words. I plan to go down fighting. Still running, skateboarding and mountain biking every week. I love toys and am having a blast with yoyos.

The wood is Wenge and it looks even better in person.
Here is picture of the Curta. They really are incredible machines. They hold an amazing attraction for anyone who like numbers and mechanical devices.
20180530_225900_zpsv32j2eku.jpg

Your Wenge yoyo is beautiful! Happy to see the Sherline worked out for you.

I never heard of a Curta calculator but the story on Wikipedia is interesting. The inventor would have been one hell of a hobby machinist!

Those Curta calculators are really interesting. I might have to attempt using the 3D printer model. I bet some of you here could machine one in metal, but it's beyond my current capabilities. Maybe I'll keep it in mind for a future project when I get more experience.

I love the look of that wood when turned. I've tried to get a similar effect from gluing strips and turning that, but it's not in the same league as that wood.

Mikey,

A tip of the hat to you for answering all my questions and helping me tool up the Sherline. It is a perfect fit for my needs. Now to make the right mill choice...

I want a mill with similar capabilities. I just need to research the usable work envelope of the Sherline mills. I certainly respect their quality for value equation.

Back