• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Lathe back gears

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Camnefdt

Hi all

So I've done some reading inside the south bend lathe operating book and it talks about the back gears on the head stock being used to get slower operating speeds.

Can somebody perhaps elaborate a little more on how this system is meant to operate?

I will attach a pic of my head stock off the colchester I just got but when back gears are engaged, the head stock is completely locked up.

Are both gears on each side of the pulleys meant to be hard fastened to the shaft? I do plan on stripping the whole system over the weekend to clean up and check up on the condition of bearings etc but just an idea of how its suppose to work would help

Attachments

Camnefdt

Never mind, found it already hahaha just shows that looking for 1 more second (literally) can make all the difference

Camnefdt

Its got a little 'switch' to disconnect it from the pulleys

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Yes the all-important pin :D
How are your gears? They look pretty good from what I can see

dlane

Active User
South Bend have a pin that pulls out to disengage the bull gear from the pullys.
Have pics of your lathe ? We like pics

Camnefdt

Yes the all-important pin :D
How are your gears? They look pretty good from what I can see
There's 1 or 2 with tiny chip on a tooth or so but all in all they seem good condition.

Everything is covered in some kind of horrible lubricating 'stuff' which i can only think of as being like a copper compound spray that was sprayed all over everything

Camnefdt

South Bend have a pin that pulls out to disengage the bull gear from the pullys.
This is the full lathe, colchester britannia which, as best I can track, was made between 1920 and 1930.

Attachments

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Must be a rare one, no information on that model I can find, only Triumph and Master models of that era

Smithdoor

Active User
This is the full lathe, colchester britannia which, as best I can track, was made between 1920 and 1930.
Looks great
Look big for a pin , sliding knob or some other in Gage the large gear.

Typical from time of building it was simple and basic

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Smithdoor

Active User
Using back gears and the blet gave good power at speed and then blet give good finish on last pass

Dave

Camnefdt

Looks great

Dave

1530072518256725924323.jpg the back gears themselves are on an offset bushing with a dial that you pull out, then turn and has a detent to clip into position, but to disengage the gear from the pulleys, it has a little switch type thing on the side of the biggest pulley.

Smithdoor

Active User
The big gear on the spindle
Looks great

Dave

View attachment 270634 the back gears themselves are on an offset bushing with a dial that you pull out, then turn and has a detent to clip into position, but to disengage the gear from the pulleys, it has a little switch type thing on the side of the biggest pulley.

[6]
[5] [7]