Lathe back gears

Camnefdt

Registered
Registered
Hi all

So I've done some reading inside the south bend lathe operating book and it talks about the back gears on the head stock being used to get slower operating speeds.

Can somebody perhaps elaborate a little more on how this system is meant to operate?

I will attach a pic of my head stock off the colchester I just got but when back gears are engaged, the head stock is completely locked up.

Are both gears on each side of the pulleys meant to be hard fastened to the shaft? I do plan on stripping the whole system over the weekend to clean up and check up on the condition of bearings etc but just an idea of how its suppose to work would help

20180626_205051.jpg

Yes the all-important pin :D
How are your gears? They look pretty good from what I can see

South Bend have a pin that pulls out to disengage the bull gear from the pullys.
Have pics of your lathe ? We like pics

Yes the all-important pin :D
How are your gears? They look pretty good from what I can see
There's 1 or 2 with tiny chip on a tooth or so but all in all they seem good condition.

Everything is covered in some kind of horrible lubricating 'stuff' which i can only think of as being like a copper compound spray that was sprayed all over everything

Must be a rare one, no information on that model I can find, only Triumph and Master models of that era

South Bend have a pin that pulls out to disengage the bull gear from the pullys.
Have pics of your lathe ? We like pics

This is the full lathe, colchester britannia which, as best I can track, was made between 1920 and 1930.
Looks great
Look big for a pin , sliding knob or some other in Gage the large gear.

Typical from time of building it was simple and basic

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Back