Lathe bed resurfacing

malleusmagnus

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for someone near Charlotte, NC who can inspect, and mill if needed, the bed on a 36" South Bend 9" workshop series lathe.

I think you would be better off looking for a grinding service rather than a shop to mill the bed. The bed ways and carriage ways on my Sheldon lathe were ground by American Machine & Grinding out of Chicago back in 2001. They only did what's referred to as a "dusting" in that they removed a maximum of .002" of material. The service isn't cheap. Back in 2001 it cost $425.00 to do a 56" bed and carriage.

I think you would be better off looking for a grinding service rather than a shop to mill the bed. The bed ways and carriage ways on my Sheldon lathe were ground by American Machine & Grinding out of Chicago back in 2001. They only did what's referred to as a "dusting" in that they removed a maximum of .002" of material. The service isn't cheap. Back in 2001 it cost $425.00 to do a 56" bed and carriage.
Thanks. If I thought I could find someone with a ways grinder to grind the ways for that, I'd pay it twice. Milling will give me a good enough base to scrape, if it needs it at all.

Here’s a new member. In case you haven’t read the thread, he’s in Ohio. Might be too far away. But it’s worth reading the thread anyway since they are discussing bed grinding.

Back