Lathe Bed Wear

Another item to look at is the chuck and backing plate. When I put a new to me chuck on my lathe I had a similar issue. I removed the chuck and faced off the backing plate and that clreared most of my issues. I then reground the jaws and that cleared up a lot more.

FYI, and although not all shown on some parts lists, all of the 9" and larger Atlas lathes were clamped to the bed with a transverse clamp block similar to the one under the tailstock and the steady rest and secured with a 1/2"-13 cap screw. Also present but only to position the headstock in the correct longitudinal position are two 5/16"-18 cap screws through holes in the bed into the bottom of the headstock casting.

That much taper in that short of cut should be visible wear if that.

But as others mentioned could be simple other things.

back in the old radio days "troubleshoot by alignment" was a process where yiu performed the tune up procedure to observe the metering and often if just alignment ot would solve issue or the bad stage would not respond correctly.

Apply that he's except we know something is wrong so we remove as many possibilities by checking things.

Yiu will need a good 0-1 mic and good 6 inch calipers.

Strip the lathe bed of all parts then mic the thickness of all wear areas to confirm your wear.

Next with calipers or suitable mic measure the width of all bed areas or the front to back wear areas.

report your findings

Clean all interface areas and hardware then reassemble it.

When replacing the headstock get a dial indicator and place it such that you can measure and twisting of the headstock.

This sounds like alignment combined with play in carriage so remove the guessing regarding bead wear and headstock alignment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back