Lathe Bench

Baja_Dude

Registered
Registered
Greetings All,
I will be receiving a new PM-1236T lathe and need to build a metal bench for it. Does anyone have dimensions (hole placement, HxWxL, etc.) for a bench that they may be willing to share?

Greetings All,
I will be receiving a new PM-1236T lathe and need to build a metal bench for it. Does anyone have dimensions (hole placement, HxWxL, etc.) for a bench that they may be willing to share?
I have been waiting for someone else to possibly post, but not seeing a post, I have a suggestion (if you have welder, and once you get the lathe). First, you will need an existing bench to set the lathe on, and make sure all the controls are at a comfortable height. If not, raise or lower a needed. Once you have the height of the bench, pick up some square tubing of decent wall thickness, and weld the top frame of the bench. Depending on if you want a frame to be just big enough to hold the lathe, or bigger if you want a chip tray and work surface. With the top defined and on the ground or welding table, add your legs and a couple of cross braces, preferably at least one on an angle for rigidity. Once done, flip it and make sure it is solid.

At that point, as long as you have good support under the lathe feet, you should be able to set the lathe on the bench, and mark the first hole with a transfer punch (i would use an engine hoist or similar because of the number of times you may need to lift it, something you could borrow if needed). Drill it and put the lathe back on with one bolt installed. Mark one hole at the other end with a transfer punch. Move the lathe and drill that one.

Put the lathe back on with both holes, and you can mark the rest of the holes with a transfer punch. You will have your own bolt pattern on a week built bench, and it should be perfectly built for you.

joe

Have you checked with PM? I would be surprised if your new lathe doesn't come with a template for the hole locations or at least a drawing. I went to PM's website and looked at your lathe. Nice lathe. It comes with a chip tray. The chip tray will have all of the hole locations. Also look at the stand that PM sells for the lathe for dimensions and ideas.

There are numerous threads on the forum on how people have build benches for their lathes. Look on Pinterest too. Lot's of ideas on lathe benches on Pinterest. People have used everything imaginable for benches. Old steel tanker desks are one option and can often be had for free just to haul it away.

tanker desk.jpg

I was at an auction and nobody wanted to bid on an old steel tanker desk. So the auctioneer asked if anybody wanted to haul it away. He got several responses. He then asked for bids on the right to haul the desk away. IIRC he got $10 or maybe $20 for the desk. You can't make a bench for that price. If I ever replace the bench for my lathe the replacement will be an old steel or wood desk. One thing that you are definitely going to want is drawers and shelves to store stuff.

Hello Mitch, the budget is a bit tight now and i have enough 2x2x1/4 material to make one. That thought did cross my mind, but i will use the savings on tooling.

Hello Mickri,

i did contact PM and they said because the lathe is on back order, they did not have the drawings on hand. They also indicated that they are in the process of making drawings for all of their lathes and mills so drilling templates will be available.

Have you checked with PM? I would be surprised if your new lathe doesn't come with a template for the hole locations or at least a drawing. I went to PM's website and looked at your lathe. Nice lathe. It comes with a chip tray. The chip tray will have all of the hole locations. Also look at the stand that PM sells for the lathe for dimensions and ideas.

There are numerous threads on the forum on how people have build benches for their lathes. Look on Pinterest too. Lot's of ideas on lathe benches on Pinterest. People have used everything imaginable for benches. Old steel tanker desks are one option and can often be had for free just to haul it away.

View attachment 329864

I was at an auction and nobody wanted to bid on an old steel tanker desk. So the auctioneer asked if anybody wanted to haul it away. He got several responses. He then asked for bids on the right to haul the desk away. IIRC he got $10 or maybe $20 for the desk. You can't make a bench for that price. If I ever replace the bench for my lathe the replacement will be an old steel or wood desk. One thing that you are definitely going to want is drawers and shelves to store stuff.
I have my Rungfu mill mounted on a similar desk where I unbolted the top, and bolted just the two drawer stacks to a square top. IIRC, I got mine for $5 from a Habitat for humanity restore center.

Back