[How-To] Lathe bit holders.

big o

Registered
Registered
Two, single bit lathe tool holders, one for the 12 inch, the other for the 6 inch. This type of holder has a recessed cotter that clamps
around the center post, it raises or lowers the bit centering it, using the hex head screw. When adjusted for the 3/8" bit ,on the Atlas,
it stays centered [same for the 1/2" bit, on the Grizzly,] Holder pivots and locks on center post with 1/4 turn of handle.
DSCN0054.JPGDSCN0051.JPGDSCN0052.JPGDSCN0053.JPG

Last edited:
Congrats on a very nice norman style QCTP. Well done. I like how you did the locking handle. One thing that I have found with mine is that the height adjustment screw tends to move with vibration and when the tool holder is not being used. Thus losing your center height the next time you use the tool holder. I added a nut to the adjusting screw to lock it in place.

IMG_3767.JPG

Congrats on a very nice norman style QCTP. Well done. I like how you did the locking handle. One thing that I have found with mine is that the height adjustment screw tends to move with vibration and when the tool holder is not being used. Thus losing your center height the next time you use the tool holder. I added a nut to the adjusting screw to lock it in place.

View attachment 335612
There is a small set screw on the backside that locks the socket head screw, Didn't take a picture of backside.

Very nice. I would prefer the tool slot an a slope to give some baack rake without having to grind toe to of the tool. I built a holder for my Aloris that gives me 12 * of back rake.

4140HT. I have a 16" lathe and figured the stronger metal would prevent beating down the the support surface. I also ground the tool with an 8* relief down the entire side. I ground a shallow 15* side rake/chip breaker down the length of the top surface of the bit. To resharpen I only need to grind the end of the tool and be sure to maintain end relief. I find it works best turning with a slight lead angle.

'

Back