Lathe boring tool vs mill boring head?

I did find the 3/4-7/8 adapter at Little Machine Shop, unfortunately it has been discontinued.

Searching online I am not coming up with either a 7/8 to MT1 or 3/4-7/8 adapters so it looks like I will have a threading project. Good thing I got the 4400 that came with the thread making bits.

Is there an advantage to either method? Sherline has an MT1 blank that is large enough to do 7/8", and obviously I can turn a chunk of 1" steel rod into a 3/4-7/8 increaser.

I've got a tube of Superlube so when the head gets here I can clean it up. I found a couple of options for that Borite boring bar set, all I've found are $150-200 range so it will be a month or two before I pick those up. Lots of time to get the boring head figured out and ready for service.

I've found several reviews that share your opinion of Sherline's boring head. Seems that while adequate it is not up to their usual standard.

I would screw cut a 3/4-16 thread and register, then put screw it in place on the lathe head stock and cut the 7/8-20 thread. You're more likely to get a concentric piece.

I own the Sherline head. It is nowhere near the function or quality of a Criterion head, trust me.

Back