Lathe broach...old concept......my style

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
I am posting this in this room,but it is not a project of the day but rather days.

When it comes to keyway broaching in the lathe I usually had a bit of a sigh on on my face, because I am not a big fan of moving the carriage back and forth all the time and a specially when doing keyways in taper bores. Those I am not a fan of at all. I don't think the compound rest screw was designed to take so much force for broaching. Sooooo lets make a broaching tool. I've been wanting to for a while now and a job came in wich required blind 8mm keyways.
I made a lathe drill holder a short while ago so I thought I am going to modify it so I can use it for this purpose aswell.
I just had to mill out a section for a the hinge mechanism and I made two bushes out of teflon,wich is fine for this in my opinion.
20180329_141457-1.jpg
I guess I could have made this much simpler,but I wanted it nice......that's just me.
This is the hinge parts. Forgot to take pics of the manufacturing process.
20180410_153005-1.jpg
I must say my new Vertex BS-0 dividing head came in pretty handy on this project,I just got it in time.
20180404_162008.jpg
20180404_161929.jpg
I made a nice strong broaching arm with a fine knurled handle section on it.
20180405_113146.jpg
20180405_134405.jpg
20180411_140256.jpg
The broach rod has a removable part in front for different size bores and key sizes.
20180410_152938-1.jpg
I realised how important the broach tool form actually is. This shape worked best for me.
20180411_143329.jpg
The final product and it works pretty well.
20180411_140246.jpg
20180411_143243.jpg
Thanks for watching

Michael

I'd think that the cutter pictured has too much front clearance, and might tend to hog in.

I think I have seen a version like that with a vertical handle.
That horizontal handle looks much more user friendly.

I'd think that the cutter pictured has too much front clearance, and might tend to hog in.
Are saying that the toolbit will dig into the workpiece. I did not see that happening,the tool was rather tending to push away from the material a little bit because of the bar diameter. I played around with the toolform and kind of copied a broach I have and this form worked well.

S
Thanks for sharing!
It looks great.
-brino
Sorry Brino,"SHARING". I don't know what is going on with me these days, it seems I am on a roll with bad spelling and wrong words lately. Must be getting old it seems.

No
That's a lot of overhang off your toolpost. Does it flex much?
Hallo Woodchucker.No, it is a real sturdy setup. I think the pic doesn't do it justice.When I made the holder originally as a lathe drill holder I actually did want to make to fit directly onto the QCTP,but a combination of lack of time and a bit of urgency forced me to make it as quick as possible.

I think I have seen a version like that with a vertical handle.
That horizontal handle looks much more user friendly.
It works quite smooth, but in afterthought, I wish I made the handle a few inches longer just to get a bit MORE leverage, but I made the measurements up as I went along. Last knight I had an idea to mechanise it by removing the hinge section and handle completely and installing a low RPM high torqe motor of somekind with a centrifugal bush and rod on it and then my bad sholder won't have to do all the hard work anymore. If someone has an idea of what kind of motor I can use it would be greate. I thought of using a wiper motor seeing that you can use it to make mill bed autofeed mechanisms,but i am not sure if the torque would be sufficient. Maybe someone can advise me on this.

Back