Lathe broaching a keyslot

Thanks Ben, that actually makes sense to me now.

Gwelo, I have taken some time to eliminate as much flex in the cross slide as possible and working on finishing up mounting a nice new Bostar wedgie tool post on the crosslide. I figure this is the best way to go for the sake of ridgidity.
I'll do a donut mount for the crosslide and keep it around and use it for taper cuts.
And it is indeed an Asian cheapie lathe, I am enjoying the process of making it better than it was though, and seeing what I can make it do. (It was posted in my signature, but for some reason that isn't displaying-something else to figure out. lol)

I have another pulley I need to make, so I will def try dragging the cutter through the slot. I'm expecting much better results this go around. I'll post my results once I get that far. May be a while, life does get in the way....

I appreciate everyone's help, suggestions and explanations though... Very much so! You guys have all helped me out in many different ways!
I'll do a donut mount for the crosslide and keep it around and use it for taper cuts. (make that the compound slide....)

Next time perhaps you could mark things out and drill out some of the keyway before boring.

Back